Cadillac XTS hearse - Masterpiece

Chad Oolman

PCS Member
Has anyone heard what S&S will be offering on the Cadillac XTS chassis?
I have seen pictures from the national convention of the Eagle, Federal and Superior offerings, but nothing from S&S specifically.

I saw an ad today in my copy of the YB News for the "last Masterpiece EVER" for sale. Leads me to believe that commerical glass is no more.

I believe that Cadillac has strict restrictions on what can be modified on the car. I think this includes some of the glass area.

Here is an attachment of the ad that Chad is referring to in the latest edition of the YB News.

Attachments

• image-313026307.jpg
    image-313026307.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 1,433
In a recent publication of The Director, they are referring to the Superior Cadillac XTS's being apart of the "Superior Statesman funeral coach line" which are standard/factory glass cars . Also I got info from a "reliable source" that with the Cadillac XTS and the Lincolin MKT lines that it looked like it was the end of the commercial glass coach line era.

I believe that Cadillac has strict restrictions on what can be modified on the car. I think this includes some of the glass area.

I don't believe that Cadillac has restrictions regarding the use of commercial glass in a funeral car. The problem is that if Accubuilt incorporates commercial glass into the new Cadillac for professional car applications, they will be required to crash test an example. This means front and rear crash/impact tests as well as a drop test where the vehicle is suspended and then dropped on its roof. These are extremely costly tests in which Accubuilt's current owners may not want to invest. You'll remember that Superior/S&S did such tests with the commercial glass RWD Cadillacs in 1991 and 1993 and, perhaps again with later models as well. It's really a cost issue. In addition to the government required crash tests, a company wishing to incorporate commercial glass is faced with the need to farbicate special A, B and C pillars and then find someone to actually make the all of the glass including a windshield, and as I understand it, this is a very expensive undertaking. All-in-all, with this being the case, it doesn't surprise me that they have abandoned this configuration. I am also given to understand that Accubuilt's owner's have told someone that "they don't know what they are going to do with the division". Ominous words but, something you'll remember that I predicted some time ago. I'm sorry to say that we may well witness the demise of Superior and S&S as we have kown them in the forseeable future.

No Creativity.....

These people seem to have no creativity. For one thing, they are not FUNERAL CAR people. They know virtually nothing about the end users or the end use of their products. They don't know or seem to care about what we do or do not like about the cars they build. I am not even convinced that they are CAR people at all. I think they are more bean-counters than car-guys. They need the funeral car equivalent of Lido Anthony Iacocca if they are going to save the funeral car as we know it.

I remember guys like Tom McPherson using imagination to find ways to make their styles a reality.......like using Toyota taillights on a GM chassis. This enabled them to create a custom look without excessive tooling cost to build a small quantity of certain parts.

But the current crop of "coachbuilders" doesn't seem to even know what I mean by style. I guess I am just wasting my breath (or keystrokes as the case may be).

We have experienced dismal periods in professional car history over the years. In wartime, production was virtually non-existent; the dramatic 1977 downsizing; the introduction of the little front-wheel-drives in 1985; the disappearance of many great marques including Packard, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, and Buick (for professional car production.) In all of those cases, there was still some promise of having a design matched to a chassis that resulted in a tasteful, elegant, and functional hearse.

Now what do we have? A Lincoln crossover-made-hearse and a small Cadillac without much hope for becoming a positive stand-out design. Yet, there could be more possibilities with the right creativity. As Brady mentioned, Tom McPherson successfully designed commercial glass Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, and Chevrolet hearses from sedan chassis when everyone else was doing converted station wagons. If a 1986 Buick LeSabre FWD sedan could be made into a beautiful commercial glass coach, perhaps some other autos on the road today would be worthy candidates. Sure, more challenging due to a more pronounced aerodynamic style, but likely possible with the right creativity.

Our dear friend Bernie DeWinter IV used to say that great hearse designs come from the human mind, not a computer. He sure was right!

I'll add a little info on the passing test's line:

When I
was in the Towing Business our favorite Salesman related to us on a customer who wanted an extra gas tank installed as delivered. His response was "Sure can do...I'll build your new rig and deliver it AFTER we crash it into a concrete wall."

Those Feds rules Ya know....

These people seem to have no creativity. For one thing, they are not FUNERAL CAR people. They know virtually nothing about the end users or the end use of their products. They don't know or seem to care about what we do or do not like about the cars they build. I am not even convinced that they are CAR people at all. QUOTE]

No imagination and even less creativity and, as Brady said, a complete lack of understanding for the vehicles, what they are used for, their role in upholding or establishing an image for their owners, the tradition behind why the look as they do and obvious complete absence of taste, balance or tradition when it comes to acceptable automotive styling. The current crop of "new" funeral cars are absolutely horrid-looking - a total all-embracing embarassement to the brand badges with which they are adorned. That door stop that Accubuilt is foisting on the profession does not deserve either a Superior or an S&S insignia. They should have let these storied brands die with some dignity instead of hiring "Keller and Wonder"* to design cheese wedges with wheels and then calling them hearses. Sacriledge is what it is and an embarassment to every one of the nation's funeral service professionals. I really feel that it's too late to save these iconic brands unless they obtain some seasoned, talented and knowledgable leadership and soon.

*Those two famous automotive designers Helen Keller and Stevie Wonder - both of whom have obviously found post-fame careers in the American professional car industry. These are people who know an outstandingly styled car when they see it.

Perhaps the numbers have something to do with it. I have been involved and familiar with another end of the funeral industry, the granite monument/memorial business for most of my life. And of course I know lots of folks in the funeral business through this club and other friends.

The cold hard truth is that the need for funeral coaches is declining at the same rate as the sale of full service funerals. The folks who might make a funeral coach see this trend, and are simply making a logical business decision based on those trends. The monument business in Elberton GA where I had several family members involved there has been decimated by this same trend.

To justify an expense at a funeral home of a virtually custom built vehicle costing well north of $100K is far more than the market will bear. The customers simply won't pay for it in this distressed ecomomy.

The 2013 XTS Chassis is available

The new B9Q chassis is being delivered!

8272353152_158538bf78_b.jpg

Back