How many miles do you put on your car each year?

Clyde Swenson

PCS Member
How many miles do you put on your car each year?

Just wondering what may be that magic number of miles to put on these old cars to keep them in good running order. I seem to just be able to get out 3-4 times per summer and average less than 200 miles a season. Probably just over a tank of gas or so. Is that enough to keep the crap from building up in the fuel system! Had some recent trouble with that so just wondering what other’s experience is!

Before my back injury & surgery last year, I usually averaged 5,000+ on most of 4 procars and about 15,000-20,000 on my daily driver pro car, totaling about 35,000-40,000 miles all cars added together. I have put 107,000 on my 85 Superior FWD (which is not my daily driver) in the 12 years I have owned it. The daily driver one is the only one that is driven in the winter.
after the surgery it drasticly went down, only about 100-150 on each in a months time. I miss the road trips but my pain level will no longer let me enjoy these cars.

As for your question, 200 miles is not enough to keep it from getting gummed up, the new gas is only good for a couple months without putting stabelizer in it

the best way to store one is not to. Its not the mileage you put on as much as getting out and running it enough to warm it up.take it to work every now and then. but like John said the gas now is not only higher in price but poorer in quality. I only keep enough in it to start the car and get it down to the nearest gas station and I put in what I think I'm going to be using that day. it not any fun if you can't jump in the car fire it up and take off. if you living were you feel you can't drive the car for fear of other people or it braking down. maybe a man had better consider moving or getting a few repairs made. just jump in a go sometime. how else you going to get to enjoy the efforts that you put into saving the car. man only wants a self sitter start collection the 1/8 diecast.

When I first bought my coach, for 2 years, it was my daily friver. In the last 7 years, ive only put about 2000 per year on it. I have 2 other collector cars that get 1000 to 1500 per year & like Ed Renstrom, they get whatever gas is needed to do what needs to be done. My current "daily driver" gets about 6000 per year. I have a company truck that I bring home from work so I dont commute to my job.

I don't drive each of my cars every year but I do start them and let them come up to temp, run the a/c and heater and apply the brakes and turn the steering wheel about once a month. If you have access, I use good quality fuel from the airport. It costs about $1-1.25 more a gallon. For parades I am thinking about using a marine fuel tank I can toss in and drive off of so I don't have to drain the tank when I am done. Any suggestions or comments?

about 2500

We get about 2500 miles a year on the 61 M-M. Last year was zero with waiting and finding parts. Then I had to motivate my mechanic. He took it
apart so I wanted him to put it back together.
This year I am still behind on miles. Only about 1400 so far. Most summers
the 61 is my everyday car. This year for some reason the 61 is staying in the barn more.
I think I would rather take my chances with Stabil or other fuel additive than
trying that boat tank idea.
Mike

Back