1967 C-B Olds High Top Ambulance

Mike McDonald

PCS Member
Looking to locate a buy and 1967 C-B / Olds High Top Ambulance to "replicate" one Our Local Fire Department purchased new and lost track of when they went had to go to "Box Trucks". THX-MM

the close match is in name only. way different cars. i don't think I have ever see a picture of a 67 high top

Attachments

• 1967 CB Ladysmith Canada.jpg
    1967 CB Ladysmith Canada.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 316

Do any of your know if the Large RR Glass that's broken in the picture is regular flat glass? I know either the Ambulance Decal and-or Etching is gone too, but if it's a special curved glass we would have to find a donor. One of Retired Drivers lives in Spokane, so he is going to look at it in the next few days, if it's still available? THX-MM

Mike, the side window glass looks flat to me. My 68 Miller Meteor side glass is flat. I am not saying they are the same, but they might be.

It sure would be nice to see that 68 C-B saved!

flat glass or not

HEY mike please let me know if that is flat glass or not, my glass guy thinks that flat glass was common in the 50s and in the 60s most was curved but as someone posted there car was flat,i am the first one to say i dont know and my glass guy is very young,and I AM A 70s guy thanks brian,always looking to learn:):):):applause:

A little more to the story......

The small town where I was born and grew up (Fallbrook, CA) where I bought my 1st pro-car (before I knew what one was) when I was 15 years old for $200.00 (a 1938 Buick Series 90 Limited Sedan Ambulance).... and 7 years old when the (BRAND NEW..... "State of the Art") 1954 Henney-Packard Ambulance (we are restoring) now was shown at an open house to the local townsfolk.... bought a New 1967 CB-Olds like the one For Sale except it was all red with blackwalls. As I recall it had a Center Front Roof Mounted "Q" and a single CJ-184..... getting some pictures now from FD Retirees to be sure.

Anyway a New 1959 High Top MM-Cadillac took over front-line duties from the '54 Packard and the '67 Olds took over front-line from the '59 Cadillac. As I have been told by retirees, they were very happy with the Packard and Cadillac but thought in 1967 that a New Olds would be just as good or better.... and probably a lot cheaper.... they bought the Olds. Apparently they had repeated rear axle problems with it where the axle would slide out causing fender and skirt damage each time. After about a year under warranty but down and out of service a lot, they traded it in on a New Ford E-350 (Wheeled Coach) Modular Box Ambulance with Dual Wheels, the type of Ambulance they still use today, except the current ones are Chevy's.

Anyway we lost track of where the CB-Olds went as well as the '59 MM-Cadillac.... but they most likely went to Mexico that was popular in that era to be "good neighbors". MM

Do any of your know if the Large RR Glass that's broken in the picture is regular flat glass? I know either the Ambulance Decal and-or Etching is gone too, but if it's a special curved glass we would have to find a donor. One of Retired Drivers lives in Spokane, so he is going to look at it in the next few days, if it's still available? THX-MM

After well over a week of calls, this guy FINALLY called back a little while ago. He doesn't know much about the car's history except that it was a "local" ambulance and sitting in a rural area of Eastern Washington State. Apparently nearly ALL of the glass is either broken, gone, and-or replaced with plexiglasss (EXCEPT) the windshield. At least wee know where it is now for a personal inspection. I will let you know what we find then. THX-MM

THANKS ED! He said (for sure) that the two rear side windows and the rear door glass is broken or completely out. If any of those are curved glass.. it will be a major. THX-MIKE

Glass

I may have that quarter glass. I do for a 72 anyway. can't remember is it's flat or curve. I'll look tomorrow

I bought this stuff from a guy selling a 71 combo in El Cajon .The rest was sold to someone that was going to use it in a haunted house show. All the glass was good . I can give you there # if you need it ,they might be willing to sell the glass?

Attachments

• DSC00866.jpg
    DSC00866.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 141
checked today and the 71 panels confirm, the back glass on the 72 is curved.
as are all the door glasses. I still have a windshield for one but bring a friend. I had a hard time getting it up there don't think today I can get it down by my self. but I would guess the 68 would still be flat glass.

Attachments

• IMG_3767.jpg
    IMG_3767.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_3769.jpg
    IMG_3769.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 105
Dan & Ed: THANKS for your help! Our retired employee who lives about 100+ miles East of Sprague, WA., hasn't had a chance yet to look at in person and take some detailed pictures, check it's mechanical condition, etc. As soon as I get his report and pictures.... I will know if I am going to launch on it or not. THX AGAIN / MM

Back