Strange siren mount question

Paul Steinberg

PCS Life Member President
Staff member
Super Site Supporter
I found the picture below on an ebay auction for a 1959 Ford Station Wagon ambulance. I have never seen a siren mount like this before. Is it a product of Federal Siren or is it something that someone cobbled together to put on the car?

Attachments

• siren.jpg
    siren.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 540
"levelor"

It looks like a pre-made casting rather than a custom formed welded piece. My guess it's something off the shelf at a West Texas Well Drilling / Electric Motor Supply House primarily used to "mount and level" something else but worked well here.... just not to "S&S Standards" for pretty! (*) If the long-time National PCS Member from West Texas (can't think of his name right now) is in this site he may be able to enlighten us on the mount and the fire department in general? MM

now I don't know anyone that would make a mount for a siren from something else. put I hear it can be done nicely:D. your just looking at a will oxidised piece of aluminium. if you check most of the mounts are two piece type to get the angle right. the 30% mount for the Q will only go one place on the roof and be straight

The siren is a Sireno, so I don't think the mount would be a Federal mount.:eek:

Good point, but the bottom of the mount sure does look like a Federal part. It is the top half that has me confused.... I know, I am always confused..:confused:

This is a standard Sireno adapter base to fit a sloped roof installation. Made by Sireno, it fit the R-5 as well as a few other models that had the same base. It is not a Federal product. I'm pretty sure that I still have one of these floating around the shop somewhere.
John Dorgan

Back