Front End Ride Height On My '96 S&S

Kurt Arends

PCS Elected Director 2021-2024
I am looking for any ideas as to why the front end on my '96 S&S Victoria seems to sit higher than most '93-'96 coaches. I am attaching a photo of my '96 Victoria and also a photo of a white '95 that is currently on eBay. I definitely prefer the lower ride height of the white '95.

Attachments

• ResizedImage_1429923253385.jpg
    ResizedImage_1429923253385.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 234
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 228
Looking at both pictures, your car is sitting level as it appears that there is equal light showing underneath. The car that is on eBay, that you are using for a comparison, has a forward rake to it, as seen by the light appearing under the car from front to back. If the eBay car had a casket with remains in it, it would probably be sitting level.
I don't know if the ride height is adjustable on your car, but if it is, then it probably is correctable. My 1969 Miller Meteor has the same rake to it, but if I put a few people in the rear, the car levels out. Makes me want to fill up the rear compartment with some sandbags to level it.

I have to agree that yours is sitting higher up front. Just looking at the space above the tire and fender shows a difference. Sorry I cannot offer any ideas.

Bruce,
I am not sure if the front springs have been replaced or not. I would doubt it as the previous owner didn't do any more than he absolutely had to in the way of repairs and maintenance.

adjust the load leveler on the rear of the car. yous is not high in the front it's low in the rear. if it has the air ride there is a adjuster on the rear axle to set the ride height. if not most likely the rear springs are weak

adjust the load leveler on the rear of the car. yous is not high in the front it's low in the rear. if it has the air ride there is a adjuster on the rear axle to set the ride height. if not most likely the rear springs are weak

My 96 Eagle had a similar problem but not as bad a difference in the ride height.

The air leveler shocks where blown out and the springs where weak in the rear. I replace the air shocks and the springs. A friend was parting out a 96 Superior six door. The superior springs where .30 thicker and about half a coil taller.Made a bring difference in the ride.

My compressor only occasionally runs, typically when parked on a hillside. Wouldn't the compressor run more frequently is the shocks were shot/blown?

Just an observation, but the one that sits higher in the front looks to have commercial glass, versus the other one.....Does it maybe have a heavier duty frame/suspension components than the non-commercial version? Just a crazy idea.....

were it might be heaver it's the same chassis. the air filter on the air pump is one of those things that never gets serviced. they will cause the pump to run on awhile. but it's most lily a case Like Dans were the springs were just enough and have sagged over time. if it doesn't have the air ride. I have seen the adjuster slide on them also. we had the same problem with the 86 when you would load it the rear end would drag on te ground. a new set of struts and a little adjustment along with servicing the pump got it back up. got it back up.

Your front sits like every other Accubuilt coach Ive seen of the era-with the gap between the tire and wheel well, and I just looked at around a hundred pix of 94-96) Possible Krystal did not use the commercial chassis, so it did not have the heavier springs? Just a guess.

I dealt with these cars when they were new and used. I noticed that Superior/S&S cars always sat up higher in the front. My guess is they upgraded the springs while other builders used the standard ones from Cadillac. Other builders, especially Federal and Krystal always seemed to sag or droop after a couple years. Eureka, Eagle and Miller Meteor cars always seemed to sit about the same level as a stock sedan. That my 2 cents

Kurt,
When it is all said and done, and you are able to figure this out, I would love to know what you learned. Are the front springs different? Is it an issue with the load leveler? Is it worn, sagging springs in the rear? Please share the answer with us all.

Channing

Back