Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Classifieds Forum Open to the Public > Wanted

Wanted All responses to these posts, such as price, etc. should be done by Private Message or eMail. Posts may be removed after 30 days or at our discretion. Posting in this forum is limited to PCS Members and / or Site Supporters. We encourage all website users to become members of the Professional Car Society and / or become Site Supporter.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:21 PM
PCS Member

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Abe moving to Des Moines IA

Hello everyone, this afternoon I accepted a job transfer with my employer, Wells Fargo, to Des Moines, IA. I have driven through the outskirts of Des Moines a couple times in my life but other than that I have NO knowledge of Des Moines, other than that's where Capital City Ambulance Service was (or is?)

My new job starts on October 21, a little over 2 weeks from now. Because I am so unfamiliar with the area, and know virtually nothing about the city other than that which is common knowledge, I would like a room mate until I become somewhat familiar with the city, determine what areas of town are nice, etc.

If anyone knows of someone who might be looking for a room mate in Des Moines, please feel free to PM me. In the meantime I will be checking out Craigslist, roomates.com , etc.

I am single, have no kids, and will probably be giving my beloved cat to someone who can give her a good home down here in Florida.

But I'm on a super tight budget, and figured this will be a really good way to live cheaper than leasing an apartment in an unfamiliar city for awhile.

Thanks for any information you may know of!

Abe
Old 10-02-2013, 08:31 PM
Website Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Bush View Post
Hello everyone, this afternoon I accepted a job transfer with my employer, Wells Fargo, to Des Moines, IA. I have driven through the outskirts of Des Moines a couple times in my life but other than that I have NO knowledge of Des Moines, other than that's where Capital City Ambulance Service was (or is?)

My new job starts on October 21, a little over 2 weeks from now. Because I am so unfamiliar with the area, and know virtually nothing about the city other than that which is common knowledge, I would like a room mate until I become somewhat familiar with the city, determine what areas of town are nice, etc.

If anyone knows of someone who might be looking for a room mate in Des Moines, please feel free to PM me. In the meantime I will be checking out Craigslist, roomates.com , etc.

I am single, have no kids, and will probably be giving my beloved cat to someone who can give her a good home down here in Florida.

But I'm on a super tight budget, and figured this will be a really good way to live cheaper than leasing an apartment in an unfamiliar city for awhile.

Thanks for any information you may know of!

Abe
I've been to Des Moines maybe 4-5 years ago chasing a very pretty low-miles yellow 75 Caprice convertible. My only observation: it's too damned cold in the winter. A boy from Tampa better pack warm. Good luck.
Attached Images

Last edited by Mike McGeehan; 10-02-2013 at 08:49 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike McGeehan For This Useful Post:
Abe Bush (10-02-2013)
Old 10-02-2013, 08:33 PM
PCS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McGeehan View Post
I've been to Des Moines maybe 4-5 years ago chasing a very pretty low-miles yellow 75 Caprice convertible. My only observation: it's too friggin cold in the winter. A boy from Tampa better pack warm. Good luck.
Thank you Mike, I'm originally from Northern Illinois (very close to Sterling/Rock Falls IL) so I'm pretty used to those darn cold winters! At least there will be no more mowing the lawn in the dead of winter!!!

I actually MISS the seasons, and cannot wait for spring storm chasing again! We get lots of thunderstorms down here, but nothing like they get in the Midwest!
Old 10-02-2013, 10:59 PM
PCS Member - Elected Director 2017-2020

Thanked 15,335 Times in 6,468 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

buy you a snow shovel you may be needing it on the 21. nice to see you back up were you belong it will not take long to loose the moss that been growing under your arms down there.
Abe Bush (10-03-2013)
Old 10-02-2013, 11:05 PM
PCS Member

Thanked 5,672 Times in 2,096 Posts
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

Abe

I stopped for dinner in Des Moines a couple years ago when going to look at a car in Nebraska.

Bigger city than most in that area where there is about 5 hours straight across of nothing but corn fields !

The girl at Olive Garden asked where I was going ( as we chatted for about 10 minutes after I finished eating ) as she knew I was from Toronto.
I told her I was going to Nebraska.

She said, "WHY ARE YOU GOING TO NEBRASKA ?!" I said, to look at a car.
She said, "well, that is about all you are going to be able to do in Nebraska.
Nothing happens in Nebraska !"

I guess you will have something to do in Des Moines.
Other PCS people are there too.

By the way, she watched a TV house renovating show from Toronto.
Small world eh !

All the best with your move,
Darren

1960 Cadillac S/S Victoria 3way Hearse
1960 Cadillac MM Futura Hearse
1962 Cadillac MM Landau Hearse
1962 Cadillac MM Futura Hearse
1973 Cadillac Superior 3way Hearse
The Following User Says Thank You to Darren Bedford For This Useful Post:
Abe Bush (10-03-2013)
Old 10-02-2013, 11:55 PM
PCS Member

Thanked 5,816 Times in 2,708 Posts
Groans: 7
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Welcome to Iowa!

Abe,
I live in Council Bluffs, IA, which is right at 2 hours west of Des Moines on the IA/NE state line(suburban Omaha). I am extremely familiar with Des Moines as I am with all of Iowa as I travel weekly in my sales position. I actually prefer Des Moines over the Omaha metropolitan area. I am usually in Des Moines a couple of times each month and usually stay in town. We can meet up for dinner and I can tell you whatever you want to know about the city. PM me when you get a chance and I will give you my contact info.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kurt Arends For This Useful Post:
Abe Bush (10-03-2013), Darren Bedford (10-03-2013)
Old 10-03-2013, 08:04 AM
Website Member

Thumbs up what!

sunny florida, beaches, fishing, no salt on roads, no ice storms, girls in bikini's, no closed roads, no xtra tires for the ice, no chains, low tax rate, did i mention girls in bikini's. yeah, i'd look forward to ice and cold and lets not forget, SNOW. i hate snow except in pictures. but i do admit that 12 months of good weather can be a deal buster when you have a project as there is no excuse for not working on it cause where else ya gonna go..good luck Abe, just pulling your chain a little. hope all goes well...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kyle Martin For This Useful Post:
Abe Bush (10-03-2013), Darren Bedford (10-03-2013)
Old 10-03-2013, 08:48 AM
PCS Member

Thanked 5,816 Times in 2,708 Posts
Groans: 7
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

I've lived in the Iowa, Nebraska, and Minnesota my entire life and I have never ran snow tires or chains on a car. I will take Spring, Summer, and Fall in the upper Midwest over those 3 seasons in Florida any day!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kurt Arends For This Useful Post:
Abe Bush (10-03-2013), Jim Staruk (10-03-2013), John ED Renstrom (10-03-2013), Kyle Martin (10-03-2013), Scott A. Anderson (10-03-2013)
Old 10-03-2013, 09:23 AM
PCS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John ED Renstrom View Post
buy you a snow shovel you may be needing it on the 21. nice to see you back up were you belong it will not take long to loose the moss that been growing under your arms down there.
Thank you Ed, I'll tell you what seeing your pics yesterday from your trip you took in your '92 and seeing all the fall colors starting to come in really REALLY got me excited to get back up into the Midwest again! And I saw those before I even got the call offering me the job! I can't wait to connect with some of the PCSers in the midwest!
Old 10-03-2013, 11:05 AM
PCS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Martin View Post
sunny florida, beaches, fishing, no salt on roads, no ice storms, girls in bikini's, no closed roads, no xtra tires for the ice, no chains, low tax rate, did i mention girls in bikini's. yeah, i'd look forward to ice and cold and lets not forget, SNOW. i hate snow except in pictures. but i do admit that 12 months of good weather can be a deal buster when you have a project as there is no excuse for not working on it cause where else ya gonna go..good luck Abe, just pulling your chain a little. hope all goes well...
I will definitely miss the scenery down here Kyle, but to be honest I have always missed the scenery from up North. I'm used to snow and cold weather as I've lived up there most of my life. Not saying I'm looking forward to scraping my windshield every day in the winter time, but it will be really nice to have seasons again.