Pre-LAFD Los Angeles City ambulance service

I have an interest in the pre-LAFD days of ambulance service in Los Angeles city. It seems there are not a lot of photos or information on the old "G" units, or "brown bombers" as I have seen it referred to. I am wondering if anyone knows anyone, that knows someone, that might know someone that was around back in those days? As a modeler, I am always striving for accuracy, but these days you dont know if what you see on the internet is always true. Finding photos associated with the IMCDB does not always mean they were actual vehicles. I did find a photo recently of a 56 Ford F100 with the LA City seal on the door. One does have to wonder if it was from a movie set or an actual vehicle. I often wonder who the prime manufacturer was of the late 60's or early 70's rigs with the Ford F100 pick up chassis? Any thoughts on where one might locate accurate historical information? A additional note. I have seen the web sites associated with the "G" units, and the Adam 12 site. Thanks. Rich

Last edited:
Contact Kevin O'Connell through this forum, who can put you in touch with Joe Ortiz, who doesn't get online much, if at all. Between the two of them they can probably answer a lot of your questions.

I had a 1957 GMC Ambulance that saw duty with LA City. It was one of 6 or 7 made. I scanned some of the information Joe sent me about it, but I'm not sure if I uploaded it to this site or not.

FYI, these GMC units were thought to have been manufactured by Yankee on the west coast (not to be confused with Yankee on the East Coast), but I have never been able to find any information on the company.

Thanks Todd. It seems there is just not a lot of information out there on the Yankee Motor Bodies company. I have a contact here in Tucson, that is with the Los Angeles Fire Department Historical Society, and he tells me that there was not a lot of information out there, when the units and responsibilities were transferred to the fire department. I'm sure there is someone out there that might have some first hand information and photos, just finding out who has turned out to be a chore. The "G" units are on a list of replica's that could be produced, but the harder it is to find accurate historical information, the farther down the list they slip. I will press on. Thanks again. Rich

Back