Help in Identifying...

Hi Gang,
I joined my local squad in 1979. They had been around since the 1920's. I would like to try and build models of some of their early 1950's rigs. Here is one of them. I have a few questions. 1. Do you know what year this would be? 2. What base model Cadillac would have been used for such a conversion(Fleetwood, Eldorado, etc). Any other info would be appreciated. Thank you in advance for any assistance.

David

1950s.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

1956 S&S Medic Mark 1, I belive. Probably a series 62 for the base car. You tell its a '56 by the spears on the quarters.

the chassis would have been ship to S&S with only the frame, running gear and the body from just behind the front seat forward everything from behind the front door pillar to the rear bumper was built by S&S

the chassis would have been ship to S&S with only the frame, running gear and the body from just behind the front seat forward everything from behind the front door pillar to the rear bumper was built by S&S

70,s pic but same idea.

Attachments

• IMcoplete CC.jpg
    IMcoplete CC.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 302
Dave, great photo. To build a model, you'd have to start with a Coupe deVille or Sedan deVille as a base. I think someone does it in resin but I don't remember who. I'm not sure if the Eldorado is close enough, it may be.

Eldorado model definitely wouldn't work. You would have to construct a model off of a deVille or Fleetwood, if they made such a thing.

David...what you have here is a 1956 S&S Cadillac Professional Kensington ambulance....a Model 561443 built on a Cadillac Series 8680S commercial chassis by Hess & Eisenhardt. This was the most costly Cadillac-based ambulance on the market in 1956 and retailed in standard, unoptioned configuration for $13,092.

David...what you have here is a 1956 S&S Cadillac Professional Kensington ambulance....a Model 561443 built on a Cadillac Series 8680S commercial chassis by Hess & Eisenhardt. This was the most costly Cadillac-based ambulance on the market in 1956 and retailed in standard, unoptioned configuration for $13,092.

cost you that much today to just re-plate the chrome on that one.

but to build it you need a standard 56 nose in the scale you're working and scratch build it from there like S&S did.

Actually, come toi think of it, a '56 model will NOT work. The '56 Commercial Chassis used the '54/'55 Cadillac front clip, not the '56. A '56 model may be close enough, however, for your purposes.

Back