Brand new MET

Denny Shira - Deceased - 1951 - 2020

June 5, 1951 - January 29, 2020
This, believe it or not, is yours truly. in the fall of 1968. 17 years old. I had just received my MET(Medical Emergency Technician) certification that past June. NYS law required that you should be 18 years old to receive an MET card. Because i had already worked on the ambulance since i was 16, and had Red Cross basic, advanced, and instructor training,they made an exception in my case. I also had delivered A baby that spring. Imagine something like that happening in this day and age:eek:
My original MET # is 000799 (which i still hold to this day)They changed it to EMT sometime in the early 70's. Yes, we looked like ice cream men:D

Attachments

• 1968 taken in my parent's house (ice cream man).jpg
    1968 taken in my parent's house (ice cream man).jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 408
Last edited:
If you were really careful, you could get a whole shift out of one uniform. I always had a spare back at the office. Ahh, the good old days.:)
God Bless my MOM, who laundered them for me.

Last edited:
If you take the hat off, you could pass for a barber or a hospital orderly... could you fit into that outfit today??? :D

not bad for an american. the only country were we are required to be 20 lb overweight divorced and bitch when things are at there best.

but I will say that the white were a little impractical looks a lot better the the black tactical type we see today

the all volunteer service we had use scrub tops for a uniform. but as it would be you never had one on when the pager rang. those time when I had my Laundry worker worker uniform, the dark pants and white smock top. if it was a run that involved a transfer to the larger hospital the nurse up there would always turn to me with the questions.

funny how the uniform makes the man or in this case the kid.

If you were really careful, you could get a whole shift out of one uniform. I always had a spare back at the office. Ahh, the good old days.:)
God Bless my MOM, who laundered them for me.

I carried a bottle of hydrogen peroxide in my bag to help make it through a 24 hour shift. Just as many food stains as other stuff.

I carried a bottle of hydrogen peroxide in my bag to help make it through a 24 hour shift. Just as many food stains as other stuff.

Shout Wipes, nothing worse than a fat guy with a food stain on his shirt. Bruce B gave that tip.

Ed's comment on uniforms reminded me of an intercept with a volunteer rig. EMT's are in the house trying to gather information and family isn't giving up the info to the "kid" in t-shirt and jeans. I walk in wearing a white uniform shirt and blue pants and family thanks me, and answers all questions.

perception is the key. like you ask all the questions treat, load and go. the nurse asks the same questions and gets different answers??? then the Dr comes in and asks the same questions and gets different answers???

working a small service in a medically underserved setting you get to stay and see it all as you help.

Back