1964 Chevy - Pinner is saved!

It's amazing how much of a difference cleaning up the wheels and tires makes! That thing doesn't look half bad actually!

FYI, don't use glue traps to catch the mice unless you are a heartless bastard and can stomach hitting them on the head with a hammer to kill them. I already learned that lesson with my wash room...

Howya Gonna Do It

Dwayne, how are you going to get all three of your cars up to Hudson next year?

Congrats on getting it home. It looks A LOT better than I thought it would. I know its not any longer than a coach but it sure looks like it!! I cant wait to see this in person.

I would take EDs advice on the one way traps. I ues them in my garage and they work great. The ones I have can store many mice so you dont need to check them constantly. After they are all out, put dryer sheets in the car. They work just as good as mothballs and when you get your car out next spring it will have a nice out of the dryer smell.

Dwayne, how are you going to get all three of your cars up to Hudson next year?

Well... Rocky will probably be driving one of them, Tom & Walt have been offered one, and that leaves one more for me. If anyone backs out on driving one for the meet i'll post up a wanted ad for drivers! Bet there will be members coming to the International in regular cars & we can't have that :yum:
The Pinner does look VERY long but it must be because it's a 2 door. Measured it last night & it's 19.5 feet long bumper to bumper.

pinner score

Dwayne,
Looking better and better. I use the dryer sheets in my motorhome and have not found evidence of mice. Before dryer sheets I had mice about every winter. If you use poison bait the mice will walk off and die. But then you don't know where they went to die until they stink up the interior. Peanut butter is a great choice for snap type traps.
I have had good luck with simple green for cleaning upholstery.
Keep us up to date with pics.
Mike

Dwayne,
Looking better and better. I use the dryer sheets in my motorhome and have not found evidence of mice. Before dryer sheets I had mice about every winter. If you use poison bait the mice will walk off and die. But then you don't know where they went to die until they stink up the interior. Peanut butter is a great choice for snap type traps.
I have had good luck with simple green for cleaning upholstery.
Keep us up to date with pics.
Mike

You can also put coca cola in a lid and they love it but they can't burp so they swell up and pop. But as Mike said you never know where that will happen at.

So with these dryer sheets... do you throw them all around inside or just open the box & sit it inside the cars?
Danny, i'll pass on blowing up the mice & focus on trapping them! :yum:

The New York mice have all left, and now all you have to worry about are their Ohio cousins, aunts, uncles, and grand parents... Hang the dryer sheets all over the place, and replace them when the "odor" is gone. I would also place bait boxes around the cars that have some form of Decon in them. You will only be able to control the mouse population, but you will never be able to eliminate it. The other alternative is to get a few Ball Pythons and set them loose in the car and garage. They are great at catching mice. You can always tell how successful they are by the growth from month to month. When they get really big, just don't let your cat into the garage..:)

So with these dryer sheets... do you throw them all around inside or just open the box & sit it inside the cars?
Danny, i'll pass on blowing up the mice & focus on trapping them! :yum:
I usually buy a big box and spread them on the carpet front and back, and under the seats and in the glove box. seems to work well, and the added bonus is the car smells good in spring. I still do not like to leave out decon A because i have dogs and they could get in to it. and B my luck is they will crawl into somethig and die that i can not find or get to.

the little bodies bloat up and pop, then smell for a while and it goes away. but I'm like you the sticky traps that snag them and let them starve to death is a no no. I like the snap one that let me know what I got. don't for get the under hood blanket is a good spot for them to and they love nesting in heater boxes and head liners. the most fun I ever had was in a demo derby . every time I would run into someone the mice would fall out of the head liner, run around on the rear self then back up the pillars till we go one more hit. i laughed so hard I could not control the car.

Here are the one way traps I use. It will trap them live but has holes so you can drown them in a bucket of water. I prefer to put bait in them so it poisons them, then just open the top, dump them out and reuse trap. If you have alot of mice or do not check your garage often this is the way to go because it will hold many at once.

1 trap.jpg

The other alternative is to get a few Ball Pythons and set them loose in the car and garage. They are great at catching mice. You can always tell how successful they are by the growth from month to month. When they get really big, just don't let your cat into the garage..:)
This was the first thought that came to my mind.

Well... Rocky will probably be driving one of them, Tom & Walt have been offered one, and that leaves one more for me. If anyone backs out on driving one for the meet i'll post up a wanted ad for drivers! Bet there will be members coming to the International in regular cars & we can't have that
The Pinner does look VERY long but it must be because it's a 2 door. Measured it last night & it's 19.5 feet long bumper to bumper.

Question on it being a 2 door wagon? I thought the last full size 2 dr wagons where either 60-or 61 . And no full sized 2 dr wagons where made in 64. The midsize Malibu where 2 drs which the El Camino was based is the closest that I know of? Thanks

Dwayne, I like your taste in custom wheels from seeing what you have put on your coach's so far. Got anything in mind for the Chevy? I used to own a White 1964 Chevy wagon, bought from the next door neighbor for 180 dollars and he owned it since new and never changed oil in it. The 283 out lasted the body, it was the only car in the neighborhood that would start on the coldest winter days, also had the best heater of any car I've owned, sold it just for the motor because it ran so well for 250.00 after I used it for couple years. And never added oil to it. True story!

Question on it being a 2 door wagon? I thought the last full size 2 dr wagons where either 60-or 61 . And no full sized 2 dr wagons where made in 64. The midsize Malibu where 2 drs which the El Camino was based is the closest that I know of? Thanks

Daniel, it started life as a 1964 Chevy Biscayne 4 door wagon. The rear doors were romoved, door jambs cut out totally, all rear side glass & pillars removed too. Pinner somehow made full side body skins after stretching out the body/chassis, matching all the factory lines. The window areas are filled in with a seperate single piece of steel. It's neat to look at where the coachwork is popping out... where the window filler panel meets the quarter they used a 3rd piece of steel to create a double-ledge the full length of the body. This piece gave them a way to blend the two together with 2 seperate radiuses & give it a much more 3-D affect with minimal bodywork. I'm sure it also doubled as a reference point... that's a LOT of real estate to get looking right!

Dwayne

The Chevy is very long. I drove it to New York in 1964.

It started out as a 4 door, we removed the passanger doors and extended the chassis. That gives it that extra long look.

It is a unique vehicle. We only built 3.

Good luck with the restoration. I would love to see it in its original configuration.

Jack Pinner
Pinner Coach Company
1958-1971

Jack, the service car will not be modified it will be set up just as it was when it left your possession that day in New York, 1964. It will have aftermarket wheels, dual exhaust, & a few more horses under the hood... but other than that it will remain totally stock. No body mods at all, i'm even leaving it "radio delete" becuase somehow the radio blank survived in the dash.
I'm happy to report that all the rear interior sides survived. They are not in the best of shape, but they are all there. Sadly, the rear floor is long gone. All I have is the rollers & bier pin tracks.
If you have ANY photos of the build, the cars themselves, or any stories about this set of service cars, please share them with me? It would be GREATLY appreciated! Even a description of the rear floor (natural wood, upholstered, linoleum?) would be so helpful so it can be replicated. Do you have any photos of these cars when you built them? I hope your family makes it to Ohio for the International, the Pinner will be there & I want you & Tom to sign the dash.

Michael, as for wheels i'm going to be very conservative with this one. Leaning towards chrome reverse... 15" x 8" on the back & 15" x 7" up front. A more traditional wheel won't take away focus of the car itself. Your story was fun to read Michael! It brought back memories of 2 wagons I built years ago... a 1960 Brookwood 2 door and a 1969 Kingswood 9 passenger. Actually the '69 I traded for my first hearse, the 1951 Superior. Here's a pic of it rolling on 15" x 8" Corvette rallys...

2907443294_e0766a6f07.jpg

the fat pythons

I agree the pythons might work. But when it gets cold they won't work too well. Then what do you do? Sit in the garage with the Red Ryder BB gun? Dryer sheets and traps is the way to go. The cat would use the door panels to sharpen his claws.
Mike

Back