Who can identify the cars in these photos?

Hello all,

As a car enthusiast, I have built up a reasonably large archive of photos (own work) over the last twelve years. These photos depict old or exclusive, cars, or cars that are "different" in a way and photos are mainly taken in The Netherlands, Belgium, France, Germany, Austria and Switzerland.

Some of the photographed cars are made by professional coachbuilders. I have found it very difficult to find some info regarding these companies or to identify the company. And then I found this website!

I would therefore be very thankful if some of you could help me identify the cars in my photos. And otherwise, just enjoy the pics. I hope it is okay to post these photos here.

I'll start with this Buick and add other photos later.
It is identified as a 1946 Roadmaster (1946-1948 are nearly identical, but this one is 1946). It has a wheelbase of aprox. 4.19 metres (165 inch). Car has been imported in the Netherlands in 1996 and I am not sure it is still here.

46rmamb.jpg

This is my photo. More photos (made by the owner I think) can be viewed here: http://www.carpictures.com/vehicle/01BLB101437211/Buick-Roadmaster-Ambulance-brown-beige-1946

Can anybody tell me by whom this ambulance was built and if known in what quantity?

Many thanks in advance!

All the best
Job

Hello all,

As a car enthusiast, I have built up a reasonably large archive of photos (own work) over the last twelve years. These photos depict old or exclusive, cars, or cars that are "different" in a way and photos are mainly taken in The Netherlands, Belgium, France, Germany, Austria and Switzerland.

Some of the photographed cars are made by professional coachbuilders. I have found it very difficult to find some info regarding these companies or to identify the company. And then I found this website!

I would therefore be very thankful if some of you could help me identify the cars in my photos. And otherwise, just enjoy the pics. I hope it is okay to post these photos here.

I'll start with this Buick and add other photos later.
It is identified as a 1946 Roadmaster (1946-1948 are nearly identical, but this one is 1946). It has a wheelbase of aprox. 4.19 metres (165 inch). Car has been imported in the Netherlands in 1996 and I am not sure it is still here.

46rmamb.jpg

This is my photo. More photos (made by the owner I think) can be viewed here: http://www.carpictures.com/vehicle/01BLB101437211/Buick-Roadmaster-Ambulance-brown-beige-1946

Can anybody tell me by whom this ambulance was built and if known in what quantity?

Many thanks in advance!

All the best
Job

The car pictured is a 1946 Flxible Buick.
No breakdown of numbers except this:
Model 46-50 chassis= 80
model 46-70 chassis= 161

did not Bill own that one? looks like some of the pictures I have of it on that web site.

Ed, are you talking about me? If so, I owned a 1949 Flxible ambulance in cherry red and dove gray. My wife loved that car and we have regrets that we sold it. However, it lives in a collection of fire trucks just outside of Williamsburg, Va. A gentleman named Thomas "Flip" Toepke owns it now. Flip, we would love to see pictures of your collection buddy.

The car pictured is a 1946 Flxible Buick.
No breakdown of numbers except this:
Model 46-50 chassis= 80
model 46-70 chassis= 161

Many thanks John. I suppose this is one of the 46-70, because the 50 was the Super and 70 the Roadmaster. I have no records of "commercial chassis" in my books, so thanks for the numbers! The Roadmaster had a longer wheelbase, but I do not know if that holds for the commercial version. The wheelbase of this ambulance seems to be far longer than the usual Roadmaster chassis. Have you accidentally got the wheelbase lengths of these series of commercial chassis?
And did Flxible use types to refer to their models?

Thanks again, much apreciated!
Job

I-R Buick Plant Ambulance

Ed, are you talking about me? If so, I owned a 1949 Flxible ambulance in cherry red and dove gray. My wife loved that car and we have regrets that we sold it. However, it lives in a collection of fire trucks just outside of Williamsburg, Va. A gentleman named Thomas "Flip" Toepke owns it now. Flip, we would love to see pictures of your collection buddy.

Bill: Your Ingersol-Rand (Plant) Buick Ambulance was my very favorite of all times. It would be nice to see pictures of it again and his other units in the museum. THX-MM

will Bill, at least you had a buick. I have no Ida were I got that pictures from. but I was under the impression it was off e-bay or one other selling sites
here is my shot I added in 05 to my collection. of course this would be in another life off another server.

Attachments

• 1946 Buick Roadmaster Ambulance.jpg
    1946 Buick Roadmaster Ambulance.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 894
Many thanks John. I suppose this is one of the 46-70, because the 50 was the Super and 70 the Roadmaster. I have no records of "commercial chassis" in my books, so thanks for the numbers! The Roadmaster had a longer wheelbase, but I do not know if that holds for the commercial version. The wheelbase of this ambulance seems to be far longer than the usual Roadmaster chassis. Have you accidentally got the wheelbase lengths of these series of commercial chassis?
And did Flxible use types to refer to their models?

Thanks again, much apreciated!
Job

Yes, the Flxible used the chassis type to refer to the models. The Sterling models were based on the 50 series, and had a wheelbase of 159-5/8".
The Premier was built on the 70 series, had a wheelbase of 164-3/8".

will Bill, at least you had a buick. I have no Ida were I got that pictures from. but I was under the impression it was off e-bay or one other selling sites
here is my shot I added in 05 to my collection. of course this would be in another life off another server.

You may very well be true the car has been sold via eBay. A time ago (possibly two years) I saw the car on the owner's website. You could hire the car from him for parties etcetera. I sent him an e-mail, but he never answered. Now, the site is offline. Combined with the fact the car does not seem to be registered in Holland anymore may clarify the fact you saw it advertised...

Yes, the Flxible used the chassis type to refer to the models. The Sterling models were based on the 50 series, and had a wheelbase of 159-5/8".
The Premier was built on the 70 series, had a wheelbase of 164-3/8".

I'm impressed. Wonderful job, many thanks again! I'll describe the car in my archives as a Buick series 70 Roadmaster Flxible Premier ambulance.

I'll put some Cadillacs in this thread this evening (it is 6 pm here).

I'm impressed. Wonderful job, many thanks again! I'll describe the car in my archives as a Buick series 70 Roadmaster Flxible Premier ambulance.

I'll put some Cadillacs in this thread this evening (it is 6 pm here).

Actually the coachbuilder always comes first, so it would be
1946 Flxible Buick Premier, the chassis is not commonly used when refering to a professional car, but if you wish you could add "on the series 70 Roadmaster chassis" at the end.

Identification request: Two Cadillacs from the fifties

As promised, two of the older Cadillac's from my archives. These cars took part in a hearse parade, so that's why they drive with the flags fitted.

lrr_1.jpg

#2 This car is on trade plates, so is for sale in Holland.

Chassis: 1958 Cadillac, I suppose the 86 / commercial chassis (156 inch wheelbase) that was built in 1,915 examples according to my reference work.
Coachbuilder: Eureka Mfg. Co.
Style: it is described as a combination ambulance/hearse...? I don't know what is meant thereby. I suppose the Flxible Buick from photo #1 could also have been used as a hearse, or not...? What is the official description of this body style?
Is it known how many of these cars were built?

nod_1a.jpg

nod_1b.jpg

Chassis: 1959 Cadillac, series 86 with a wheelbase of 156 inches (2,102 built altogether).
Coachbuilder: S&S???
Style: ???

Many thanks again!
Job

As promised, two of the older Cadillac's from my archives. These cars took part in a hearse parade, so that's why they drive with the flags fitted.

lrr_1.jpg

#2 This car is on trade plates, so is for sale in Holland.

Chassis: 1958 Cadillac, I suppose the 86 / commercial chassis (156 inch wheelbase) that was built in 1,915 examples according to my reference work.
Coachbuilder: Eureka Mfg. Co.
Style: it is described as a combination ambulance/hearse...? I don't know what is meant thereby. I suppose the Flxible Buick from photo #1 could also have been used as a hearse, or not...? What is the official description of this body style?

nod_1a.jpg

nod_1b.jpg

Chassis: 1959 Cadillac, series 86 with a wheelbase of 156 inches (2,102 built altogether).
Coachbuilder: S&S???
Style: ???

Many thanks again!
Job

You are right, the first is a 1958 Eureka Cadillac Limousine style funeral coach (maybe a combo, I cant see the interior, but looks like a straight hearse, possibly a 3 way). No model or number is given in the Eureka book, just that there was a total of 1,943 Cadillac commercial chassis delivered to all the coachbuilders.

The second is a 1959 S&S Cadillac Park Row limousine style. I cannot tell if its a straight hearse, or a combo from the pic. No S&S production numbers are avalible at this time.

As for your question regarding what a combo is, they are cars specally designed to be used as a hearse and ambulance and they usually have rear jump seats and a removable beacon on the roof, and underhood siren.
The Buick you posted earlier is a straight ambulance.
Limousine style, just means it is a full glass coach, a landau style would have the enclosed rear quarters and almost always have a landau bar on them. Hope this helps some.

You are right, the first is a 1958 Eureka Cadillac Limousine style funeral coach (maybe a combo, I cant see the interior, but looks like a straight hearse, possibly a 3 way). No model or number is given in the Eureka book, just that there was a total of 1,943 Cadillac commercial chassis delivered to all the coachbuilders.

The second is a 1959 S&S Cadillac Park Row limousine style. I cannot tell if its a straight hearse, or a combo from the pic. No S&S production numbers are avalible at this time.

As for your question regarding what a combo is, they are cars specally designed to be used as a hearse and ambulance and they usually have rear jump seats and a removable beacon on the roof, and underhood siren.
The Buick you posted earlier is a straight ambulance.
Limousine style, just means it is a full glass coach, a landau style would have the enclosed rear quarters and almost always have a landau bar on them. Hope this helps some.

This helps a lot! It is great to learn about these special vehicles and their constructors.
I found a website with more pics of the Eureka and its interior. They claim it is a combo, but it was never used as an ambulance as far as they know. I hope I do not violate the rules by posting this url, because they sell the car (I am not in any way connected to this website or to the seller).
http://www.wovu.nl/oldtimers/occasions.php?controller=Listings&action=view&id=7

Many thanks, I am sorry I have to repeat that everytime, but I'm seriously thankful!

I'll put the '70s Caddy's below.

This helps a lot! It is great to learn about these special vehicles and their constructors.
I found a website with more pics of the Eureka and its interior. They claim it is a combo, but it was never used as an ambulance as far as they know. I hope I do not violate the rules by posting this url, because they sell the car (I am not in any way connected to this website or to the seller).
http://www.wovu.nl/oldtimers/occasions.php?controller=Listings&action=view&id=7

Many thanks, I am sorry I have to repeat that everytime, but I'm seriously thankful!

I'll put the '70s Caddy's below.

After seeing the pics, it is a combo. Also I think this is the one that used to belong in the PCS, so Im sure someone here has lots more info on it!

The following three cars have bodies by Miller-Meteor (and the last by Superior).

lrr_2.jpg

nod_2b.jpg

#4 This car seems to be one of the cars that has been exported to The Netherlands as new.

Chassis: 1968 Cadillac, 156 inch wb commercial chassis (2,413 built)
Coachbuilder: Miller-Meteor
Style: description was Landau, but I would say after your last post, it is a limousine style... Don't know if these bodies do have an additional name.

nod_3.jpg

Chassis: 1971 Cadillac, 157.5 inch wb commercial chassis (2,014 built)
Style: Landau...

lrr_3.jpg

Chassis: 1973 Cadillac, 157.5 inch wb commercial chassis (2,212 built)
Style: Landau... without the landau bars.

The interesting thing is, all three cars above were built by M-M, but they all differ with regards to the last window-style.

spijk.jpg

Chassis: 1974 Cadillac, 157.5 inch wb, commercial chassis (2,265 built)
Coachbuilder: Superior Coach Co, Ohio?

If production numbers or type names are known, or you have any additional info or corrections, please let me know.

Many thanks in advance!

The following three cars have bodies by Miller-Meteor (and the last by Superior).

lrr_2.jpg

nod_2b.jpg

#4 This car seems to be one of the cars that has been exported to The Netherlands as new.

Chassis: 1968 Cadillac, 156 inch wb commercial chassis (2,413 built)
Style: description was Landau, but I would say after your last post, it is a limousine style... Don't know if these bodies do have an additional name.

nod_3.jpg

Chassis: 1971 Cadillac, 157.5 inch wb commercial chassis (2,014 built)

lrr_3.jpg

Chassis: 1973 Cadillac, 157.5 inch wb commercial chassis (2,212 built)
Style: Landau... without the landau bars.

The interesting thing is, all three cars above were built by M-M, but they all differ with regards to the last window-style.

spijk.jpg

Chassis: 1974 Cadillac, 157.5 inch wb, commercial chassis (2,265 built)
Coachbuilder: Superior Coach Co, Ohio?

If production numbers or type names are known, or you have any additional info or corrections, please let me know.

Many thanks in advance!

First two pics are a 1968 Miller-Meteor Cadillac Classic limousine hearse. If it is a combo it would be a classic Limousine Duplex.
M-M added Duplex to all the models when they were combos. Some of the limo style combos had removable landau panels that screwed over the glass when in hearse mode.
I do not see any production numbers for MM vehicles, your 2,413 number is total commercial chassis produced by cadillac, and distributed to all coachbuilders.
The next two would be landau Traditionals. Possibly duplex if they were combos.
As before the numbers you list are total Commercial chassis built by Cadillac.
The last is a 1974 Superior Sovereign Landau. Superior built 611 straight endloader Soveriegn hearses.

First two pics are a 1968 Miller-Meteor Cadillac Classic limousine hearse. If it is a combo it would be a classic Limousine Duplex.
M-M added Duplex to all the models when they were combos. Some of the limo style combos had removable landau panels that screwed over the glass when in hearse mode.
I do not see any production numbers for MM vehicles, your 2,413 number is total commercial chassis produced by cadillac, and distributed to all coachbuilders.
The next two would be landau Traditionals. Possibly duplex if they were combos.
As before the numbers you list are total Commercial chassis built by Cadillac.
The last is a 1974 Superior Sovereign Landau. Superior built 611 straight endloader Soveriegn hearses.

Thanks John. Such details as the panels that could be screwed over the glass are really interesting to read! The landau bar on #5 that misses from #6, was that an option that could be left away on request of the customer?
Yes, you were right, I quoted the total number of chassis built for the particular year. Is 611 examples for the Superior Sovereign Landau the total number of this style over more years?

Thanks!

After seeing the pics, it is a combo. Also I think this is the one that used to belong in the PCS, so Im sure someone here has lots more info on it!

Yes, definitely a combination. And I think this was once a coach Rance Bennett had for sale many many years ago. Back in the 1990's I believe. He still has a photo of it on his website. This actual car is why I fell in love with the '58 Cadillacs and not the '59s like most people :)

ham01.gif

Thanks John. Such details as the panels that could be screwed over the glass are really interesting to read! The landau bar on #5 that misses from #6, was that an option that could be left away on request of the customer?
Yes, you were right, I quoted the total number of chassis built for the particular year. Is 611 examples for the Superior Sovereign Landau the total number of this style over more years?

Thanks!

I have seen cars ordered without the landau bars but it is rare, most likely they are just missing.

Not sure what you mean by "is 611 examples for the Superior Sovereign Landau the total number of this style over more years"? 611 is the number for just the 1974 models. Other years will have a different total. Hope this helps some, if not let me know.

Back