Garage recommendations

Whatever you decide you need in size add more room. I did not own a procar when I built my detached garage. But still I built it planning on putting two small cars in end to end and have room for working around them. It turned out when I got a pro car I still had plenty of room. I still need more garage space though.
Is that Clevland or Cincinnatti

I would love that anytime of the year especially now. It is already so freaking hot here. Come visit Florida now PCS people and you will get a better grasp as why MICHIGAN is better!.

:myopinion:

Isn't this better....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XSLOQOd2LY&feature=related

Alot better!!!!!! I am so tired of the hot weather, I hate it. I need to find a place where it is 10-40 degrees all year. Anything warmer is too much. The only problem with the snow is the pro cars have to stay in the garage. :soapbox:

I built my garage before I built my house, priorities being priorities, in 1980.

If I had it all over to do again I would:

Make it at least 28 feet deep.
Doors configured so you can get any car out anytime you want. If you have to move something first, that car just never gets used.
If local zoning allows, make at least 1 bay high enough( 14' under ceiling) to accomdate a lift. I would consider making the entire building 16' under the ceiling, makes for many possible configurations with mezzanines up top for stuff ( Bradys garage was a good example). Foot print can also be smaller if that is a consideration.
Because of our peculiar vehicles, make doors 10' high, consider at least one door 14 ' high, for potential resale, a person with an RV may want to put it inside.
This company in my area has a stellar reputation, this is the building I have:
http://www.kistlerbuildings.com/ The owner is a neighbor of mine, and has been a member of our local school board for years...
Lots of power and outlets, don't forget compressed air, depending on how much work vs storage is going to be done in the building.

Enjoy the planning, it is really a fun part of the hobby... Jeff Beyer

Steel Building Companies

Jeff,

We have several outbuildings, three of which are steel pole buildings. The Umbaugh building was unsat; a second building by Bonanza turned out OK. The 2-story building by Chaparal was by far the best quality and we had no problems putting it up.

The companies don't put up the buildings; they order, ship and drop the pieces in your yard. They contract someone to come in, check to see all parts are there and to sort and assemble the unit.

We had these buildings up before the days of using the internet to do research, so now it's easy to run to your computer and Google all three of these companies to see what they currently offer (or if they're still in business). Again, of the three, the Chaparal product worked the best for us

Good luck!

Bee Hamlin
MAC

Steel Buildings - 2

Oops. Forgot to mention that pole buildings get cheaper permits and you can pour the cement later; the good buildings have cement-level guides designed in.

Bee Hamlin

Jeff, I have had two Morton Buildings built and have been very pleased. In both cases, I had an experienced salesman who had lots of good ideas and advice. With the first one, since I was new to Morton, the salesman showed me several buildings in the area, including one under construction so I could see how they were built. As Jeff Beyer mentioned, think about ideas for storage and resale. My first building is larger and located in an area w/ lots of horse farms, so I designed it so that it could easily be converted to a horse barn if & when I ever sold it. The second one is more of a big garage, and the salesman spec'd it out for the "dream world" idea of having three hightops that could be parked abreast w/ all doors open without touching! Morton is definitely at the high end of the steel building market, but their quality is great! Matthew Taylor has at least one Morton, too. http://www.mortonbuildings.com/

Back