hydroboost hose replacements??

Dana Bennett

PCS Life Member
Hi everyone!!
well, "thought" I had taken care of my leaking power steering system last year with having Brother Brad replace the top seal on my gear box. Well, just the other day when I went to pull Miss Lydia out of the barn to have some work done on the barn I discovered my power steering reservoir very low and although I DID put drip pans underneath her I found out that my lines leaked above where the speedometer cable went by and traveled along the speedometer cable until just and inch or two PAST the edge of the drip pan to then fall onto my nice wooden floor!!! LOL!! Murphy's law for sure!! Anyways, now it looks like I need to replace the pressure lines, I tried to search the forum to see if information was already posted but didn't find it.

CAN I get specific exact fit replacement lines (she is a 1976 Cadillac) somewhere or do I need to take my existing hoses to NAPA or something to see if I can get replacements made with new fittings/hoses/lines?? help will be much appreciated as I would like to fix this properly and have a chance to enjoy my coach this summer, that is IF I can afford the gas!! LOL!!

Dana Bennett
Forestville, New York

Last edited:
Your steering system is just the normal GM pump and gearbox type. Checking Rock Auto, it appears that there are 2 different pressure hoses used, since there are 2 distinct pictures of the hose. Prices range from $15.03 to 27.79, depending on the hose and the manufacturer. I believe that this hose should also be available from any local auto parts store. Just bring the old one in to match up. You should also replace the return hose, since it is the same age as the pressure hose.

PS... Hydroboost is a type of power braking system.

You can order it through CarQuest. I had no issues getting one for my 76 M+M as of last fall. If I remember correctly, they even have the commercial chassis listed in their system. Make sure you get this one. A regular Cadillac fleetwood, deville will be different as those have a vacuum boost braking system. Eldorados had a hydroboost system also but I'm not sure that the hose would be the same. I just installed mine this spring. The one thing I noticed different about the aftermarket one, the metal line that goes into the power steering pump was longer and had to be bent so it wouldn't hit the fenderwell. You're gonna need a brake line bending tool for this so you don't kink the line. If you're careful, you might be able to bend it by hand with success. One other thing I should add. You can always bring your old line to a place that makes hydraulic lines and they can make it exact to the original. Hope this helps!

Back