Anyone using Dupli-Colors "Paint Shop" line of paints?

These are a ready to spray lacquer being sold in automotive chain stores like AutoZone.

I decided to give them a try, so far I am impressed. They go into the spray gun without any mixing. You can thin them some if you want, but it is not necessary. They spray nice, dry in 5 minutes and can be recoated any time.

It appears they take very little work to get to the finished product. I was "two-toning" an already painted vehicle that did not have a clear coat, so I chose not to use their clear and just buff out the color coat. It came out really nice, but the paint went on much thinner than I thought so I am going to spray a few more coats on. The can says you need 2-4 quarts for a full vehicle, but I have already used most of two quarts just to do the center section of a pickup truck all the way around. Looks like I will probably use 4 quarts when all is said and done.

Still, at $22 a quart I should have a nice looking job for around $100.

I don't know if I'm ready to tackle a whole vehicle yet, but this paint seems like it would do a killer job on things like motorcycle tanks and such (at least in my hands).

Anyone else use this, or the whole system start to finish (primer, color, clear)? They even have ways to add metalflake.

paint

what is the brand name on this paint? sounds like it may be something to experiment with on a few small items. wheels, window mouldings and other painted trim parts. then on to the bigger job(s).
Mike

The manufacturer/brand is Dupli-Color. The name of the paint is "Paint Shop". It comes in cans with a car with rally stripes on it, and is sold in AutoZone and at least a few other places.

Since it is a lacquer and not an enamel I've been told that it is not as durable as enamel, so maybe not a good idea on wheels. You also probably wouldn't want to spray it over an enamel finish, although if the enamel is fully cured (years old) it would probably be ok. I have a limited knowledge of paint, but that's what sticks in my mind is that you can spray enamel over lacquer, but not the other way around. That may only apply to fresh coats of paint though, because the lacquer base will lift the finish under it.

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/paintshop.html

the brand has been around for some time. the were mainly in the spray bomb market. not a big stretch to go to quarts. but yes you will need a lot more of it then you think if it's ready to spray. it would take a gal lacquer mixed then 50% with thinner to do a car. but it should be easy to work with. even at that price $150 for the paint ready to go is a good price. 600 and buff after a overnight cure and your good to go.

It won't be available in all states, since some states have banned the sale of lacquer paint. I can buy lacquer paint in CT, but not in MA, as an example. Spray cans are exempt in MA.

These are a ready to spray lacquer being sold in automotive chain stores like AutoZone.

I decided to give them a try, so far I am impressed. They go into the spray gun without any mixing. You can thin them some if you want, but it is not necessary. They spray nice, dry in 5 minutes and can be recoated any time.

It appears they take very little work to get to the finished product. I was "two-toning" an already painted vehicle that did not have a clear coat, so I chose not to use their clear and just buff out the color coat. It came out really nice, but the paint went on much thinner than I thought so I am going to spray a few more coats on. The can says you need 2-4 quarts for a full vehicle, but I have already used most of two quarts just to do the center section of a pickup truck all the way around. Looks like I will probably use 4 quarts when all is said and done.

Still, at $22 a quart I should have a nice looking job for around $100.

I don't know if I'm ready to tackle a whole vehicle yet, but this paint seems like it would do a killer job on things like motorcycle tanks and such (at least in my hands).

Anyone else use this, or the whole system start to finish (primer, color, clear)? They even have ways to add metalflake.

I it used on a show "GEARZ" and seemed easy to use.

Back