Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Classifieds Forum Open to the Public > eBay Listings Discussion Forum

eBay Listings Discussion Forum This is a discussion forum for eBay listings of Professional Cars and related items. This forum is not intended to become a search engine for eBay items. Posts with multiple listings will be deleted. Please search to see if the information has been previously posted. Titles must clearly define the discussion. DO NOT POST JUST LINKS! Please explain what the listing is about to start the discussion. Posts that don't meet these requirements may be deleted without notice. Posts may be removed after 30 days or at our discretion.

Old 09-12-2017, 01:10 AM
PCS Past President / Senior Website Administrator

Thanked 11,113 Times in 3,602 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts

Given the black paint on the door jam, the deep red crushed velvet interior, what is left of it, and the two cut outs in the floor at the rear, I would be more inclined to believing that this was a hearse, or at best, a combination vehicle, as others have previously said. As for the grab bar at the back of the vehicle, that has me wondering when it was added, or if it originally served a different purpose. Possibly one of our more members with knowledge of the time period that this was built, will have some answers. It was not unusual for funeral homes to give old hearses to fire department for fire equipment cars, once they had served out there original purpose as a hearse, and were no longer needed for services. Back then, in the funeral business, it was all about perception, and a 10 year old hearse looked grossly dated, and to some it gave the impression that the funeral home wasn't doing well financially.
John ED Renstrom (09-12-2017), Mike McDonald (09-12-2017), Rich Koski (09-12-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 08:11 AM
PCS Member

Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Funeral Home to Fire Dept Gifts

Paul: Case in point.....my first professional car at 15 years old was a 1938 Buick Series 90 Limited Limo that Berry-Bell Mortuary purchased new and gave to our local Fallbrook Fire Dept in the early 50's who converted it in to a Sedan Ambulance. MM
Old 09-12-2017, 10:46 AM
PCS Member

Thanked 1,579 Times in 631 Posts
Groans: 5
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts

That so called "grab bar" at the rear of the car was a styling affectation applied to all Superior professional cars from the mid-Thirties through the early Forties. As far as I am aware, it served no useful function but looked classy.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:34 AM
PCS Member

Thanked 4,575 Times in 2,088 Posts
Groans: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Steinberg View Post
Given the black paint on the door jam, the deep red crushed velvet interior, what is left of it, and the two cut outs in the floor at the rear, I would be more inclined to believing that this was a hearse, or at best, a combination vehicle, as others have previously said. As for the grab bar at the back of the vehicle, that has me wondering when it was added, or if it originally served a different purpose. Possibly one of our more members with knowledge of the time period that this was built, will have some answers. It was not unusual for funeral homes to give old hearses to fire department for fire equipment cars, once they had served out there original purpose as a hearse, and were no longer needed for services. Back then, in the funeral business, it was all about perception, and a 10 year old hearse looked grossly dated, and to some it gave the impression that the funeral home wasn't doing well financially.

"Crushed Velvet"? There was no such thing in 1941. That would be Mohair! I think that it is safe to assume that this coach was originally a combo or end-loader, based on the roller cut-outs in the sil plate/floor access door. I hope that it sold to someone who will preserve its history and restore it to when it served as a fire department support rig.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:44 AM
PCS Past President / Senior Website Administrator

Thanked 11,113 Times in 3,602 Posts
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Arends View Post
"Crushed Velvet"? There was no such thing in 1941. That would be Mohair!
I used the term "crushed velvet", because today, most of our members under the age of 50, have no idea what "mohair" is or was.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:49 PM
PCS Member

Just "ribbing you" Paul. I figured that you could tell the difference.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:26 PM
PCS Member

Thanked 1,621 Times in 891 Posts
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mohair is what I wish I had! Also don't forget Mosstread Carpeting.A Packard favorite,
Old 09-12-2017, 03:42 PM
PCS Member

How much do you need? I always watch for the stuff. I have a HUGE burgundy mohair panel that hung behind an alter in a church, so it was never exposed to direct sunlight.