Federal Interceptor siren

Looking for electronics for my 72 cadillac ambulance. I think it is missing a federal interceptor that goes in my console. Also a 2 way radio. Not sure what was in the back? Thanks, Mike

Stuff like that is getting hard to come by. Try local fire companies in your area. Their attics,basements and storage areas are treasure troves of old equipment that can be had for reasonable prices.;)

Federal Interceptor Siren

A 1972 Cadillac ambulance would have almost definitely had a Federal Interceptor (PA-20) 100 watt output siren. The Federal Director (PA-15) was the precursor and was only 58 watts output. Not desirable for a high class Cadillac. The PA-150 is a much newer siren. I do not think it was even manufactured in 1972.
I would call Doug Kelley now. I spoke with him yesterday AND HE HAD JUST TAKEN IN A NICE PA-20, so now would be perfect.
The Motorola Radio would usually be a multi-channel Motrac, Mocom-70, or Micor (high $$ for 1972 since they had just come out). There was an EMS application for all three of these models which included a remote speaker, microphone, and control head (often different from the unit in the front) which was located in the patient care compartment. These are rare but can be found or "fabricated" from existing pieces. Some of them were just a speaker with a microphone built into it and the frequency and volume was still controlled by the front control head.
All three of these models are readily available on e-bay. Just get the Control head, speaker, front control cable, and microphone. You can hot wire the green light to come on with the ignition, cut off the control cable after tunneling it up under the dash, and it will look completely original. The box was always buried either behind the front seat or under the floor in the patient compartment.
No one would ever see it except the radio tech.
Good Luck.

Mike, I have a decent looking Federal PA 20A, but unfortunately don't know if it works or not. The bottom cap of the fuse holder is missing, and I also don't know which of the 6 wires coming out of the rear connector would have to hook up to a battery to see if it does function. This was removed from an ambulance around 1975, so it is period correct for your car, just a matter of figuring out whether it is a functioning unit.

my 72 high top had the pa 15a, also watch to ohms of the speaker your using . if I recall right the speakers are 11 ohms. not the 4 or 8 in a car speaker

The early PA1/5/10 models had a full 50 watts of traffic-busting power.

The PA15/20s were both 58-watt models.

The PA100s were 100 watt sirens.

The PA150/200 series had selectable 58/100/200 watt output, so they could be used with one or two 58- or 100-watt speakers.

The PA150 was the economy version of the PA200, as the PA15 was to the PA20.

Back