Northland Chapter participates in Open House

Tony Karsnia - Deceased - 1971-2020

September 12, 1971 - November 2, 2020
On Wednesday, August 18th, the PCS Northland Chapter participated - by special invitation - in the open house celebration for the new HealthEast Medical Transportation facility in St. Paul, MN.

The brand-new 46,000 square foot facility was dedicated with a ribbon-cutting ceremny, tours, and buffet luncheon. Participating in the ribbon-cutting ceremony were St. Paul Mayor, Chris Coleman, Louis Jambois, President of the St. Paul Port Authority, Brad Anderson and Ann Schrader, System Director and Chief Operating Officer, respectively, for HealthEast.

This new facility is a "dream come true" for HealthEast, featuring indoor parking for the entire 23-ambulance fleet, 10 service bays for vehicle maintenance, EMS Academy simulation lab, state-of-the art education center and auditorium with seating for 150, Emergency Communication Center, and in-house administrative, accounting, and support services for the more than 50 vehicles (including Medi-Vans) that transport over 30,000 patients annually.

The HealthEast roots began 100 years ago, in 1910, with the Olsen Ambulance Service in Minneapolis. With the intention of honoring the history, the new HealthEast facility includes special lighted display cases for photos and memorabilia. I am currently assisting with expanding the collection of historic ambulance photos and information.

On display inside the new garage on Wednesday were Jon Wurm's 1972 C/B Oldsmobile 54" ambulance and our 1973 Superior Cadillac Crown Sovereign combination. This gave attendees a nice education of the "transition" from funeral home-based ambulance services into modern day EMS. Over 300 people toured the facility, enjoyed lunch, and learned more about the progression of EMS. At the conclusion of the day, Brad Anderson and Dave McGowan, HealthEast managers who worked in professional car-based ambulances, took Jon's Oldsmobile for a cruise, enjoying every minute of it!

Our thanks to HealthEast for inviting us to be a special part of this milestone celebration!

Attachments

• 2010_AUG_HealthEast 003.jpg
    2010_AUG_HealthEast 003.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 373
  • 2010_AUG_HealthEast 006.jpg
    2010_AUG_HealthEast 006.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 295
  • 2010_AUG_HealthEast 004.jpg
    2010_AUG_HealthEast 004.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 411
  • 2010_AUG_HealthEast 008.jpg
    2010_AUG_HealthEast 008.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 297
  • 2010_AUG_HealthEast 011.jpg
    2010_AUG_HealthEast 011.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 268
More Photos...

Dave McGowan and Brad Anderson began their EMS careers working in Cadillac, Oldsmobile, and Pontiac ambulances, but hadn't piloted a coach-style ambulance in years. The smiles on their faces tell the whole story of how they enjoyed a cruise in Jon Wurm's 1972 C/B Olds on Wednesday.

I had to bring Jon's ambulance home that afternoon, so Pink Champagne was driven by one of my colleagues, Matie Palmer. She was in seventh-heaven too; I didn't think I would get my coach back...!

Attachments

• 2010_AUG_HealthEast 094.jpg
    2010_AUG_HealthEast 094.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 254
  • 2010_AUG_HealthEast 104.jpg
    2010_AUG_HealthEast 104.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 271
  • 2010_AUG_HealthEast 116.jpg
    2010_AUG_HealthEast 116.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 293
  • 2010_AUG_HealthEast 077.jpg
    2010_AUG_HealthEast 077.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 252
Tony, thanks for sharing the pics with us, sounds like everyone had a great time. The cars look great on display, aspecially Pink Champagne, I just love that car.

Josh

Tony, thanks for sharing the pics with us, sounds like everyone had a great time. The cars look great on display, aspecially Pink Champagne, I just love that car.

Josh
I have to agree that is a great looking car, i dont think i have seen a good picture of it befor,

Thanks for sharing....

Tony: THANKS for sharing these great photos with us. In my opinion there aren't many pro-cars that rank up with that era CB-Olds, especially this one that Mr. Wurm has beautifully restored! Also rest assured that Bernie is looking down right and very proud of what you have done to maintain Pink Champagne in it's impeccable glory! MM

Back