1956 Crown Imperial Limousine

Keith Snyder

PCS Member
You have to have some imagination to see this one for what it really is; a diamond in the rough! This "survivor" is one of only either 50 eight passenger sedans of one of just 119 1956 Chrysler Crown Imperial limousines built. from the pictures presented, it's hard to determine which it is - a sedan or a limousine. In any event, these are scarce and collectable. It’s located in San Jose, California and is listed for sale at $3,500. Too bad the seller didn't post some better pictures and some of the interior as well. Hope it finds a good home.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/5942952855.html

We are told this is one of 74 1956 Chrysler Imerial ghia limousine available to president Eisenhower for his entourage. It's not in good shape but has most parts and some resto work was started. The suspension was rebuilt and brakes converted to dual master cylinder. The wheel cylinders were all honed and new seals. The shoes were in good shape so the drums were deglazed and shoes refitted, there is a good chance it will have to be redone or at least some of it. The engine is a basket case and has one very large hole in one piston but a good candidate for rebuild. Crank is good as well as block heads rods etc. I don't recall the measurements we took on the cylinders but I some how think we were only looking for a piston along with bearings rings and chain. The water pump leaked when we fired it up on seven cylinders, but yes it ran (like crap) but run it did. Some extra parts go with the car, some interior trim parts and latches, door handles and the eagle for the front. The headlight rings and one side louvre are missing along with one of the long side trim pieces I was going to make one from two. Only some interior trim and couple of exterior trim parts missing. We even have the wheel covers, though I like the artillery wheels with a trim ring and derby. Trans is the push button three speed I believe, though we didn't run it long enough to find out for sure ☎ (408) 510-9238

Attachments

• 00d0d_dv5pZ0zG8gj_600x450.jpg
    00d0d_dv5pZ0zG8gj_600x450.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 251
This will be a very good opportunity for someone. NOT a Ghia, as he states. Chrysler started using Ghia in Turin, Italy in 1957. These are extremely sought after right now and well worth the seller's asking price. Ridiculously expensive just to do all of the chrome on any '56 Imperial!

Non-Commercial CA Plates

It's showing (non-commercial) California License Plates so it could have belonged to a funeral home or a private family rather than any commercial-livery use. MM

I have wanted one of these, since the first time I saw one. They are beautiful! I agree with Kurt, the price is right, but it would be out of my league to restore.

Not a ghia

Kurt is right. This was done in house at Chrysler and not by Ghia. If it were a Ghia I would be all over it.

Brady,
There is a '59 Ghia Imperial Limo not all that far from you! It was, supposedly, the Governor of MI's limo. It WAS a very nice car and it sold on auction in the Flint area in the Fall of 1985. The next owner took it home and left it sit outside for the next 32 years!! Criminal! Now that he has destroyed it, he is interested in selling it!

Brady,
There is a '59 Ghia Imperial Limo not all that far from you! It was, supposedly, the Governor of MI's limo. It WAS a very nice car and it sold on auction in the Flint area in the Fall of 1985. The next owner took it home and left it sit outside for the next 32 years!! Criminal! Now that he has destroyed it, he is interested in selling it!

I agree with you Kurt, what a crime to let a good car deteriorate.

This is the '58 Ghia Imperial Limo that I owned very briefly. Probably the rarest car I will ever own! I bought it for $800 and flipped it to a guy for $1800 without ever touching it. This monster would have put Ed into cardiac arrest! What a shame as these Ghia limos were incredibly beautiful! I would LOVE to own one, but I had to be realistic on my chances of ever being able to restore this one. This limo was originally owned by two brothers who owned a group of department stores in the Chicago area. This one now lives in MD.

Attachments

• Imperials 026.jpg
    Imperials 026.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 171
Ghia

Kurt is right. This was done in house at Chrysler and not by Ghia. If it were a Ghia I would be all over it.

A friend of mine has one. Came from Palm Springs ,what I remember it is pretty rust free has a sedan parts car with it ,what i remember it is major project . I can get pics next time I,am that way if interested. No idea on price and I think it was a 63? It had the free standing headlights.

If it has free-standing headlights, it has to be a '63. The only (existing) Ghia Imperial limos with free-standing headlights are all '63s. All of the '62s are on the bottom of the Atlantic ocean and all of the '61 Ghia limos were left-over '60s.

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/178860-1957-65-imperial-limousines-by-ghia-for-chrysler/

1957 - 36
1958 - 31
1959 - 7
1960 - 16
1961 - 9
1962 - 0
1963 - 13
1964 - 10
1965 - 10
The 1965 was actually a 1964 model with '65 exterior styling.

The only reference that I can find for any Chrysler Ghia's being lost at sea, was the Norsman, which was in the hold of the Italian liner Andrea Doria, which sank off the coast of Massachusetts in 1956. Here is an interesting article about this amazing car. Here is another article about the Chrysler Ghia's, and much to my surprise, the 1967 / 1968 Ghia's were produced by Stageway Coaches of Arkansas. Then, Hess & Eisenhardt finished out the balance of production from 1969 through 1972.

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/178860-1957-65-imperial-limousines-by-ghia-for-chrysler/

1957 - 36
1958 - 31
1959 - 7
1960 - 16
1961 - 9
1962 - 0
1963 - 13
1964 - 10
1965 - 10
The 1965 was actually a 1964 model with '65 exterior styling.

......... also, the 1961 Ghia Imperials retained the 1960 Imperial styling (as did the '64/'65 Cadillac Series 75s). Strange that they make that note regarding the '65/'66 Ghias. ALL of the 1957 through '1959 Ghias were 1957 Imperials mechanically. The 1959 Ghias were the only Imperials offered in 1959 with a hemi engine(as they were shipped to Turin, Italy as 1957 Imperials). The '60/'61 Ghia limos are my favorite and are absolutely stunning! Jackie Kennedy had one (although I don't remember if her Ghia was a '60 or a '61?).

Last edited:
But the 56 is FAR better looking and much better made. But as stated the chrome will run you broke. The whole 57 "Forward Look" were poorly made,cheap hardware,and chinztzy interiors. I loved the look but the car did not measure up to the look. I briefly owner a 57 Fury convertible and it was so bad I dumped it in a month and it was 58. Replaced it with a 56 Packard Caribbean convertible still have one today. Had a 56 limo about 10 years ago wanted to keep it but just too much to redo it. passed it on to MOPAR collector.

Back