Replacing glass

With the winter months upon us I have decided to replace the windshield and side glass in my 62 Superior limo style combination.
Before I remove the flat glass, I need to figure out the profile of the rubber molding holding it in place. Also, I have heard horror stories of windshields not fitting properly due to being too short (?) I have found a source that claims they have the accurate remanufactured windshield.
Can someone tell me where to find the correct flat glass molding and/or correct measurements of the windshield?

Thanx

the flat glass grommet is no longer manufactured. it was a excursion that was used by a lot of companies. with the flap to pull to the outside for appearance.
the best you can do for the quarter glass and the back door is to liberally apply wd-40 to the rubber grommet. both sides and in the grove if you can. repeated applications over a few days and the rubber will soften the glue sealer will emulsify and you can remove the glass with our tearing up the grommet. the superior was the only one that has the flap on both sides of the grommet. you can then swap them left and right to get a fresher looking rubber to the out side. the curve in the corner glass and back glass will be set and you may not be able to flip them.

but if you glass is not cracked or fogging at the edge why change it? a buff with one of the headlight kits or the products out there( Eastwood comes to mind) brings the appearance of the old glass back to new back to new.

On a 62 Pontiac unless the glass is cracked fogging or broken you are opening a large can of worms. Chances are all rubber componants are hard brittle or just plain falling apart. The polishing is the way to go. As fer as the windshield goes best to check the condition of the rubber again it may be hard or rotten. I think Steele may have a reproduction if so I would buy one as a precaution with the cost of new glass. Windshield installation with the old rubber gaskets is NOT for the faint of heart.

The rubber around the flat glass is so dry that I have gaps in the lower corners, allowing rain and snow in. The glass is severely pitted with a couple pock marks like bb holes.
The windshield gasket is listed at both Rubber the right way and Steele rubber.

I am trying to get the windshield GLASS measurements (height at center and widest width) before I pay and have one shipped.
I have heard some reproductions were molded too small.

Windshield is common to full size GM 1962. From memory,as I can not get to my Hollander books just now,. there are two different W/S one is lower for coupe four door hardtop and covertiible the other higher for sedan and station wagon.The pro cars would use the sedan/wagon number. Make sure you are clear on this when ordering the rubber.

you will need to wd-40 the hell out of the side glass work a lot in as it soffes use a flat blade to move the rubber away from the glass.spraying it in the gaap as you go. do that till the rubber is soft. and it will soften up. I have done this on a 63 a 58 and a 72. then when you get it soft remove the glass. the grommet is glued at the corners as they were made up of stock as needed not pre made from a parts source. then when you go back in seal the glass in the groove put your sealer around as the opening as needed and put the glass back in keeping farther damage to the grommet as slight as possible. then when it gets back in and sets up. you can back fill the gaps with either a urethane sealer or one of the rubber repair products. one they are set up you can shape then to the contour.

the key to any of this is to inter in with a I have to repair this not I can't repair this. I know it can be done I have had to do it on every car I have removed the glass on.

it's either repair this kind of obsolete parts or have then reproduced. same as the weatherstriping. they will do it for you at around $1.75 at foot plus about a 500 bucks set up fee and you will have to do it in runs of 2500 feet then you will still have to figure out how to vulcanize the joints need for your application.

the only way to be sure on your windshield is to pull it and measure the one you have. do the wd-40 trick on it first and you can get it out in one piece. then it's top to bottom in the center and tip to tip o across the back at the widest part.

..............or get a can of Ru Glyde rubber lubricant and conditioner!! Found this full can in an antique/junk mall and had to have it!

Attachments

• IMG_20141124_223951_678.jpg
    IMG_20141124_223951_678.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 231
Windshield is common to full size GM 1962. From memory,as I can not get to my Hollander books just now,. there are two different W/S one is lower for coupe four door hardtop and covertiible the other higher for sedan and station wagon.The pro cars would use the sedan/wagon number. Make sure you are clear on this when ordering the rubber.

Windshield # DW570 Hearse, Ambulance 1959-1962, 75 series limo thru 1965 (?)

for the commercial glass cars. by these years I'm sure that superior was only using Commercial glass in there lines. a rough estimate will be center of the upper or surround molding across the mirror to the center same spot on bottom. this will give you a ballpark figure but as the commercial glass is about 4 inches taller. ballpark is all you need. if that number is listed as the Hearse Ambulance number for that year it correct it will not be two short. where are you getting the glass?

Glass

If it has the windshield that wraps around and creates the dog log at the font of the door its limousine glass, if it has no dog log it is regular Pontiac glass. I do not know what Pontiac had different windshields i.e. convertible 2 dr sedan etc . That will be the trick in identifying the glass as to what Pontiac model it came from.:my2cents:

hard top, convertible glass was always shorter then sedan glass. I gave your the way to make the ballpark measurements. there are multiple of inches difference in the glass. not a just barely thing. from the pictures of them it would appear that the superior pontiac use the standard sedan glass. but not having one I can't say. simple ball park measurement and a check in the book will let you know but here are a couple 61s to look at. fairly evident that they use a different glass.

Attachments

• 1961 superior combo.jpg
    1961 superior combo.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 121
  • 1961 superior 1.jpg
    1961 superior 1.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 117
All 59 to 64 caddy pro cars and 65 limos use the dw-570 windshield.
passenger car windshield will not fit!

Yes, mine is a Cadillac.
I have heard some more recent reproduction windshields are too short (either too narrow or not tall enough, not sure which one)
I have found a source that says he has DW570's.
I just want to have measurements for him to confirm before I pay for glass and shipping, then find out it will not fit.

I to have heard horror stories also, but not from any one that I thought was capable of putting in one of the grommet ones. they take a little practice putting in. take the measurements as I said and if you're DW-570 is within a inch it's the one you need.

I had a reproduction one put in my 60 crown. It was not a perfect fit but the guys i used got it in nice. I have had no problems with it.

Back