1958 Cadillac Rear Bumper

centers are a lot easier to find then the ends or the add on step. then again who can find the center for a packard. that's not a cheap item either

After seeing one of these in person and whats under the step sides, I am fairly confident that what is on the 57-58 procars is a re-purposed 54-55ish standard bumper.

You can clearly see underneath the step side covers is what would hold the 54-55 little bumper fins and the 57-58 procar step side cover things just bolt through one of the holes used for the 54-55 part.

10365515_10152632860008221_5002921237945502734_o.jpg

For the step/licensce plate. I am thinking I need the piece between the 2 center pieces that is sticking up on this picture below...

Anyone have one of these lying around? I had thought I had to drill holes into the bumper to attach the step and have somewhere for the license plate. Seeing this pic, while good that I might not have to drill holes, introduces another piece I am missing.

14540428847_597b5cd465_b.jpg

Keep in mind that they did not all come with the bumper step. It was an option on M-M hearses and combinations. You would not necessarily have to put one on it.

Keep in mind that they did not all come with the bumper step. It was an option on M-M hearses and combinations. You would not necessarily have to put one on it.

That might be ok, but how would I attach the license plate then? Its just smooth rounded metal on the bumper. In all the pics I have seen of the 58 rear bumpers the plate went under the step and it looks like it would attach to that mystery piece I am inquiring about, no? I already have the step, just not that mounting piece.

no step on a hearse. it was a option. they use the normal slotted licence plate holder with it drilled and bolted in the bumper. you can make that 55-56 center work try it let us know how you made out. that the only way you will know. I don't have one here tat I can compare the 58 one with. if you have the bumper end see if they mate up.

If I can get the end off the '58 bumper I have tomorrow, I'll get a pic of that and a '55 bumper end side by side.

no step on a hearse. it was a option. they use the normal slotted licence plate holder with it drilled and bolted in the bumper. you can make that 55-56 center work try it let us know how you made out. that the only way you will know. I don't have one here tat I can compare the 58 one with. if you have the bumper end see if they mate up.

Ok and I would be "ok" with no step, I just think it looks cooler with the step and all the 58 MM Combo pictures I see on google have the step. I have the step and its even newly rechromed. I just dont have that mounting bracket do-hickey assuming thats what I need to attach the step.

If anyone has a 58 combo with the step similar to the MM, i'de be curious to see what is under the step, if its that rusty piece on that pic I posted above.

My '58 M-M end loading landau(now owned by Rocky F.) had the optional rear bumper step, but it would have looked just as good without it. I always thought that it was odd that it had it.

What I am imagining is that this piece here has some kind of lip that wraps around under the bumper to hold the step. Then this would eliminate the need for drilling a hole in the bumper for the licence plate. I like that the step also sort of protects the licence plate if your moving stuff in and out of the vehicle and gives a place for the license plate light bulb assembly.

picture.php

Ok, so forget all that stuff with the part that I think I need. I have been informed via pm that I have poor reading comprehension. I have no need for that rusted looking piece.

I have acquired a bumper from another source. So I have the bumper, the bumper ends and the step including the side parts that go around the step.

My question is, how do you attach the step on a M&M in circa 1958.

2 phillips head bolts, counter sunk through the top of the step plate mount it to the bumper, the step plate rubber conceals the bolt heads

Back