How many Criterion's are left...

With the information supplied by Robert I got to thinking just how many Criterion's are still out there. Please add to the list if you know one or someone who owns one.

1) Richard's 74 Criterion
2) Robert's Criterion
3) Kevin Lynch's 74 Criterion he sold which went to California
4) Chris (the bright green and white) Criterion
5) Danny's 74 Criterion he just sold
6) The blue and yellow one which sold on ebay a while ago
7) The 74 in Colordao
8) The white one Zach had and sold
9) Doug's red and white Criterion he picked up in PA
10) Bayshore Criterion #1
11) Bayshore Criterion #2

I know there are more but this should get us started and please correct me on any of these.

Criterions

Richard,

Not sure if you want to count thiese but there is a junkyard in Pa with 2 1974 Criterions. One is the ex-Bernardsville NJ car. I'm not sure where the other one came from but it is an off-white or tan color.

Fred

Another CA One in Los Angeles Now

The 1973 Criterion that belonged to Norfolk Ambulance Service in Norfolk, NE., that I bought from Jim Crabtree, who bought it from Paul Nix who bought from Lou Farah and I sold to Hewy & Ruth (dizzy yet?) I understand is being completely restored by someone in LA now? (I will check with "H&R") to see if they know the owner's name? Tony Karsnia has all the VIN & Body Serial Numbers on it (and many others nationwide) on the Northland PCS Chapter website. (*) Bill Dundas from Ventura, CA has one bought recently that came from Central CA or the Bay Area that Robert-S may know about? MM

Criterions

Mike,

I believe you are referring to a 1974 model. The only '73 was the prototype, which had a different historical linneage.

I'm going to jump in here by stating that my belief is there were far more than 50 (total) Criterions built over the three year production run. When we visited with Joe Grimes at the 2009 Miller-Meteor Reunion in Piqua, he then stated there were about 50 PER MODEL YEAR, making a total of approx. 150 Criterions. Keep in mind that the Criterion was not only (initially) blackballed by Miller-Meteor execs, it was (overall) blackballed by a lack of Federal funding to ambulance services needing new rigs. At the time, it was felt that if an ambulance service could afford a Cadillac, did they really need Federal funding...??

Having done a very rough calculation of (a) Criterions I have photos of, and (b) Criterions I've known about, I come up in great excess of 50 total. Granted, many of these cars no longer exist (or have disappeared for the time being.)

1974 is Correct

Tony: You are correct it's a 1974.... either a typo or memory lapse.... forgot which one now as it's been a few minutes! THX-MM

Having done a very rough calculation of (a) Criterions I have photos of, and (b) Criterions I've known about, I come up in great excess of 50 total. Granted, many of these cars no longer exist (or have disappeared for the time being.)

If we can come up with more than 50 it sort of shades the information. Let's keep counting and would like to know about cars we know still exisit.

Richard,

Not sure if you want to count these but there is a junkyard in Pa with 2 1974 Criterions. One is the ex-Bernardsville NJ car. I'm not sure where the other one came from but it is an off-white or tan color.

Fred

I would say "Yes" we need to count them all trying to get a total number we still know about. Thanks Fred and where is this junkyard? Do the these 74's have anything left on them and maybe we can get a PCS member to go by for some photos. How's Tracy doing?

Richard

Mike,

I believe you are referring to a 1974 model. The only '73 was the prototype, which had a different historical linneage.

I'm going to jump in here by stating that my belief is there were far more than 50 (total) Criterions built over the three year production run. When we visited with Joe Grimes at the 2009 Miller-Meteor Reunion in Piqua, he then stated there were about 50 PER MODEL YEAR, making a total of approx. 150 Criterions. Keep in mind that the Criterion was not only (initially) blackballed by Miller-Meteor execs, it was (overall) blackballed by a lack of Federal funding to ambulance services needing new rigs. At the time, it was felt that if an ambulance service could afford a Cadillac, did they really need Federal funding...??

Agreed; I'd like to find out how many, as well.

Richard, there's the one that's in western Florida somewhere, red & white. It was originally Dagsboro, DE, then I owned it, and it's had a couple of other owners before the man who owns it now (I don't know his name).

Several came to Michigan.

Here are three that I had at my fingertips.

Attachments

• Criterion Cheboygan.jpg.jpg
    Criterion Cheboygan.jpg.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 804
  • CriterionSaginawMercy.jpg
    CriterionSaginawMercy.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 767
  • CCriterionBangor.jpg.jpg
    CCriterionBangor.jpg.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 770
Medic ambulance in Memphis had a least one. It has been a while, but I did see what I assume was a recent picture leading me to believe that it is still out there somewhere.

I have pictures of 31 plus the three Brady posted. now maybe one or two of them are the same car different owners different paint and some are now toast. but I would guess that 50 a year is what they were talking about. the shot with the MM dealer on the northland site must show a dozen of them.

if a Criterion was the only 74-76 Cadillac based ambulance with a half door on the drivers side then I can recall the very first one I saw and stopped to look at! It was in 1986 in a small town, Holland,NY that I passed thru back and forth to college. It was at the fire department but off to the side of the building and was a bit rusty as I recall and I don't think in service any longer. not sure exactly what year it was and I didn't take any pictures. Thought it was pretty interesting!!!
anyways, don't know if that adds anything or not but I just thought I would mention it.

Dana Bennett.

Back