so is it longer or shorter??

John ED Renstrom

PCS Member
Super Site Supporter
with a little help from my friends we got a set of dog legs off a 57 superior. I had the man cut them off at the door opening and a hand width passed center line of the rear Axel. they did good and I got plenty. I knew they would be longer them this eureka as superior put there molding on the quarter. so now the question comes up were did superior get the length? the front end is the same. as is the chassis. the quarter on the Eureka is 77 and 5/8 from the edge of the rear door to the edge of the body at the taillight. from just under the molding on the front door to the same spot is 170 and 3/8. any one (Rocky) with a 58 superior that could measure it to see if the bodies are the same length or close? here are the measurements and what it looks like after 3 hr. of work.

Attachments

• IMG_2337a.jpg
    IMG_2337a.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_2339a.jpg
    IMG_2339a.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_2340a.jpg
    IMG_2340a.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_2352a.jpg
    IMG_2352a.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_2355a.jpg
    IMG_2355a.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 273
Rocky has a MM. Lest you forget I own both '57 and '58 Superiors.

Rear quarter: 70 1/4"
Rear quarter and doors combined: 162 5/8"

Same points you asked about and double checked those measurements too. The baffling part being how you have so much Superior dogleg overlapping in first picture if Superior quarter is 7" shorter.

Closest angle I have for you to visually compare without back bumper on, when '58 was initially delivered.

998047_10151736207278221_780037506_n.jpg

we will have to find out. I was told it was a Hearse with the top cut off. be kind of hard to get a 75 confused with that. but it may have been a flower car. me I need the wheel opening lip. hard to make one of them and get it to come out right. forgot Rockey's was a MM be nice to compare them all. to see were the difference is you know they have to be really close to over all as they used the same chassis.

measured the doors today. they measure 45 1/2 for the center with 1.5 between them and 45 3/4 for the front. the only way the superior can have a long front on the quarter is if the doors are shorter. but as you can see the Eureka is set so that the big side molding comes on in the same place.

Attachments

• IMG_2372a.jpg
    IMG_2372a.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_2373a.jpg
    IMG_2373a.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_2369a.jpg
    IMG_2369a.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_2371a.jpg
    IMG_2371a.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 161
Superior -

Your patch panel -

Fleetwood 75 -

And the other coachbuilders for comparison..

S&S -

Miller-Meteor -

And another Fleetwood 75 for good measure..

Clearly the dogleg section between the wheel opening and the door jamb is several inches longer on the Series 75 cars (long quarter panels, short doors) than on any of the Commercial Chassis cars (shorter quarters, long doors). I guarantee your patch panels were not cut from a Superior :)

Last edited:
yes I did notice that you pictured a flower car. should be the same body panels as any other superior so not worth getting excited over.

when the man in the yard told me it was a superior hearse, I was inclined to believe he knew what he had. it appears that he did not. the man that put me on to it said it looked to him like a cut up 75 last nigh. the only pictures I had received were only of the dog leg.

no problem believing it to be off a 75. a two door car would have been fine for my propose also. I just could not believe a superior would have that long a quarter on the same length car. the doors would have to be 5 inches shorter to get it there. we were looking for conformation on that. not attempting to make it so. glad I was right. thanks for helping clear that up. measurements off a superior ambulance show the quarters off the Eureka and the Superior to be the same measured at the same spot. doors with in a half inch of each other. the difference being the exposed pillar in the Eureka. you notice that the superior is the only one with the hash mark molding on the dog leg?

Last edited:
Back