Obsessing on this 1970 hightop

Apologies for obsessing over this very beautiful 1970 Cadillac hightop. I need to be educated about those chromed lights above the drivers compartment. What are they called ? background ? availability ? Thanks for any info.

Attachments

• R_HEARSE_1025e.jpg
    R_HEARSE_1025e.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 356
Those were a S&S exclusive light, available on their raised roof ambulances, with either a 7 1/2" flashing light or Federal Sola-ray light, and a small red bullet-shaped lens in the back. Either mounted as a shown, or with a third one in the center. My '67 came equipped with the two outer mounted lights, with Sola-rays, and the rear red lenses are on steady when the lights are powered up. It had a Federal Q2B mounted in between. As there weren't many (comparatively) S&S high tops built, they're not too common, but they occasionally come up for sale on eBay and such.

I obsess over these things as well... Had a chance to buy one 100% complete in CT for only 3500. Even had all the original equipment still in it.. I regret passing it up.. The decisions that haunt us.. :(:(:( The one i saw had 3 of those front lights.

They are called Fyrballs (not sure on spelling). S&S hightops commonly came with two of them. But in certain areas, like New Jersey, having three was popular.

Not to be confused with the Federal Fireballs, the teardrop beacons.

Mike,

The ambulance was originally owned by the Deal NJ First Aid Squad and was retired in the mid to late 1980's with 18000 miles on it. It was purchased from the squad by the late Phil Jast who was a PCS member. After Phil passed away the car was sold and driven to the west coast.

Last edited:
Apologies for obsessing over this very beautiful 1970 Cadillac hightop. I need to be educated about those chromed lights above the drivers compartment. What are they called ? background ? availability ? Thanks for any info.

The lovely lady is a PCS Member ...... She frequents these forums, and if she wants to make herself known, that is her privilege.

They are called Fyrballs (not sure on spelling).

I don't remember what the bolt-on tunnel lights (as seen in the original post) are called, but I'll dig around and see if I can find the answer.

Just for the record, these are the Fyrballs; S&S used 110,000 candlepower Par 36 sealed beams in the front and brake light bulbs in the rear:

Attachments

• Fyrball 2 (2).jpg
    Fyrball 2 (2).jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 210
  • Fyrball 2 (1).jpg
    Fyrball 2 (1).jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 209
I don't remember what the bolt-on tunnel lights (as seen in the original post) are called, but I'll dig around and see if I can find the answer.

Just for the record, these are the Fyrballs; S&S used 110,000 candlepower Par 36 sealed beams in the front and brake light bulbs in the rear:

Is this the light that you are referring to??? Click Here

Daniel,
You sly irish dog !....your previous reply about the junior West Coast mirrors hinted at something mysterious. Now we know why. I'm green with envy !

I,am not a ambulance guy ,but I do like this one. It was in the drive way for a little look to see if I could fix one of the lights ,which turned out to just be a burned out bulb. I can tell you that this is not for sale at the moment or anytime in the for seeable future but I would get in the long line if it came up for sale . :)

Back