1959 Cadillac Superior Royale. S.F.

I called the owner/seller about it when it was up for sale a while ago...He seemed like a nice, reasonable guy. If I remember correctly, he said that it needs some engine work?? I am not 100% sure; a lot has happened since then.... Again, if I remember correctly, it starts, runs a bit rough, and drives. There is some rust on the body and, I think, some rust repairs. I am guessing that many of you have seen the pictures of the body and the interior from the first time it was for sale. I thought it was a cool vehicle, so I inquired...It was a bit too expensive for me; he was asking $37,000.00. I actually thought it sold, but I guess I was wrong. I wonder if he would take less given the fact that it has been for sale for so long??? Who knows?...I hope it goes to someone who will take good care of it.

...It was a bit too expensive for me; he was asking $37,000.00. I actually thought it sold, but I guess I was wrong. I wonder if he would take less given the fact that it has been for sale for so long??? Who knows?...I hope it goes to someone who will take good care of it.

Photo's somehow always make almost EVERYTHING look good but, this coach really looks bad in the pix I saw. 'Indiana' plates and the condition leads one to believe it sat out in the weather, a lean-to or old barn. THIS is a major restoration not meant for the light-hearted. He said he is..." looking for offers".

I find myself confused about the value of some of these coaches...Someone must have an explanation.
How is it that this coach is not worth 25K, but the one that sold at auction in Nebraska (I think), the 59 Eureka limo style hearse, sold for almost 20K? The 59 Eureka was in far worse shape and was much less complete than the Superior.
There was a 59 MM that sold on ebay this year for about 22K. It had virtually no interior, it was missing most of its windows, and had no engine or transmission.
The Superior has its faults, but it starts, runs and drives. It is mostly intact...except for the hard-to-find table. I am not asking because I disagree that the Superior is worth less than 25K ; I actually have no clue what the value is. I am asking because I find myself confused at the inconsistent and seemingly arbitrary values placed on these vehicles. I have heard it said many times before that the value is, "what someone is willing to pay", but that does not satisfy any objective sensibility.
Thank you in advance for any helpful insight.

I find myself confused about the value of some of these coaches...Someone must have an explanation.
How is it that this coach is not worth 25K, but the one that sold at auction in Nebraska (I think), the 59 Eureka limo style hearse, sold for almost 20K?

All in the eye of the beholder....

'59s are "in demand" because of the movies like Harold and Maude and Ghostbusters plus the fact a '59 Cadillac is known for its over the top rear fins.

Danny Ryder had a decent 59 MM Landau and was asking about 20,000.00 for it.
It took longer than it should have to sell for the price and condition.

Coach builders like Superior, Eureka, MM and S/S have a following each of their own. Eg: Harold and Maude - Superior, Ghostbusters - MM Futura

Brady Smith bought a rough car and had it restored and it looks great for about the same money as Danny was asking for his.

There have been a lot of beat up cars lately going for more money than either of these great condition cars cost.

Even if the cars are in complete, needs little to nothing in the way of finding parts, you could easily be into another 50,000.00 to restore them.

Parts for a '59 are generally more or double any other year.

Unless you can do a lot of the work yourself, are a body guy or know people who can help you out, restoration projects often get really expensive, get put aside or often get sold off in a basket.

Regular cars are easier than procars when trying to source parts generally as coach built cars are fewer and harder to get these days.

You can usually part out a car for more than you would get for it whole.

Hope this helps a little.

Just observations from owning procars for over 20 years.

Darren

like the man said there is no rhyme of reason to value of a pro car. if you want it and can afford it you pay the asking price. but you got to want it. buying it is the easy part. when it comes to 59s all manner of reasoning goes out the window for the cult followers. most of us just wish we could find one so we could sell it and buy a real car. beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder:confused:

As they say, supply and demand at that point in time.
Some things are hot and then they are not. Goes in waves.

Like the stock market, buy low and sell high. If you can.

Some people buy high and never get their money back. Some win.

Darren

Back