Abandoned Funeral Home with hearse in it

Very interesting about this closed funeral home in Jacksonville, FL. I fist discovered this place on youtube from a team of guys who go around and film abandoned places. Problem is they never tell you exactly where these places are. While home over the weekend my FD txt'd me an article about this place and it had the address. So I got on my bike and flew to Jacksonville to find this place and found it I did. After climbing through a window my discovering began. It makes a grown man cry to see what has happened here. I ran across two homeless guys sleeping inside (bought them breakfast) so no issues. I will be back.

Go to 140 on video for it to begin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf-fTziBppk

Attachments

• j1.jpg
    j1.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 1,004
  • j2.jpg
    j2.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 1,012
  • j4.jpg
    j4.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 976
  • j5.jpg
    j5.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 988
  • j6.jpg
    j6.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 968
  • j18.jpg
    j18.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 1,012
  • j20.jpg
    j20.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 916
  • j3.jpg
    j3.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 998
Few more photos

Attachments

• j12.jpg
    j12.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 877
  • j21.jpg
    j21.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 952
  • j26.jpg
    j26.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 872
  • j28.jpg
    j28.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 934
  • j29.jpg
    j29.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 943
  • j30.jpg
    j30.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 868
  • j6.jpg
    j6.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 837
  • j15.jpg
    j15.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 845
Very sad! There are still a lot of $ worth of stuff to be salvaged there. I know that I have the shades that will fit that pair of torchiere lamps! That '67 S&S Victoria 3-way would be worth some money!

What an amazing situation one wonders how it all came to pass? What is even more amazing is that it has not been burned down or vandalized more. If here in Pa. or NJ. the hearse would be stripped and all the windows broken. As it looks now its a pretty nice and rare S&S. If it were not 900 miles from me I would be on it to save the S&S from the vandals who sooner or later will arrive. Its mind boggling how much expensive material is just abandoned there. Lets hope we can save the hearse. I do have a guy with a trailer who works for me who could pick it up and haul it to Pa. if access could be made. Just a shame to see what looks like a good coach living on borrowed time where it is. I still remember a call over 20 years ago from a constuction forman and customer. "Hey Pete we are tearing down a barn to make way for a development an there is an old dead wagon inside say Packard on it. The boss says pull it out and run over it with a dozer I'll pull it out get here now the boss says you have an hour." The 48 Henney is in the yard today. They can be saved. Thanks for the post what a find!

One of my FD's found this on the internet as to what the building looked like in it's days of wonder.

Attachments

• fh33.jpg
    fh33.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 827
This funeral home owns the building and I just talked with them and was told quite sternly that Mr. xxxxxx's is not interested in selling anything from the building especially the hearse. Oh well, tried!

That they can just walk away and let it fall into such disrepair is a shame,but it is criminal that so many of these derelict properties eventually catch fire and put first responders lives in peril and no one seems to care, same problem up here with abandoned structures, as stated so many things there could be salvaged,just a shame.

Very sad, but appear's to be in alittle better condition than Collin's in flint, the bonus is a S/S Cadillac hearse at this location compared to a chevette in the basement at collin's

Last edited:
Curious to know if the city of Jacksonville has tagged the property yet?? I would call the city inspector and get them on it. They could basically lock the owner out of it, given the fact that the roof is caving in.

That property is "flying under the radar" because the power and the water are still turned on at the street. The crazy fool that owns it is, obviously, making his monthly utility payments! In most cities, city building, street, etc. departments mostly just respond to residents calling in. If no one calls to report a situation, it goes unnoticed by the city.

I am sure that the Fire Marshall would like to know that it still has the power turned on with the roof falling in!

I think I saw a Y33 Finch, a Classic Gold, an Aegean and OGK what else was left to decay. That is some expensive merchandise that is worthless now.

I am right there with you Richard! As long as there is an open door or window, I am in........... as long as there is little/no risk of being shot! That is just too easy when you have working lights!

This funeral home owns the building and I just talked with them and was told quite sternly that Mr. xxxxxx's is not interested in selling anything from the building especially the hearse. Oh well, tried!

Sorry to hear that. Money just means nothing to some people- he'd rather it all be destroyed than be forced to sell it, sounds like.

Back