Anyone using these tires ?

I have a set of American Classics on one of my cars too, and I agree with you that they are a good tire. Its just a case of with the cost of the tire itself, shipping, and having them mounted, I have a hard time swallowing almost $1000 for a set of tires, hence my preference for a budget whitewall. But everytime I find a budget whitewall, it gets discontinued.

I know the feeling. They discontinued the Dimention 4s that I run on my 85 Superior. They were the only ones I knew that made a 205-75 R14 with a inch white wall. Guess next time I have to go to Diamond Back classics for these too.:cry:

I put a set of Hankooks on my 89 Broughm in July. Only whitewalls I could find on my trip back from Texas to Calif. Bought them from Americas Tire in Albuqurqure N.M. Less than $400.00 installed with stems and balanced. Size is 225 75 X 15 Whitewall is approx 3/4". 80 MPH across the desert in 100 degree heat no issues.

I picked up a set of Firestone 8.90x15s from Coker a little bit ago and haven't had any issues. I must caution everyone though who switch from bias-ply to radials if their rigs originally came with bias. The sidewall on the bias is much more rigid so if you switch to the softer sidewall radial, you run the risk of cracking a rim if you had a hard bump...

Last month I spent close to an hour speaking with a restoration shop owner who specializes in Buicks of the '50s and '60s. He was very adamant in his opinion that radial tires do not belong on cars that were equipped with bias ply tires as OEM equipment. This goes beyond what looks "correct" for a car that is going to be judged in a show. He told me that everything about the chassis and suspension design, and associated components, is set up around the characteristics of how bias ply tires were intended to perform, and using radial tires compromises how these components interact. Some of his detailed explanations were a little over my head, but they made sense at the time. He did convince me to go back to bias ply on my '59 Comet Olds.

Terry

I have always used radials in place of bias and never had any problems. I have also heard other mechanics say its fine to do so.

I can't get into the bias versus radial debate either. I have had both on the same car and it handled will with ether set. but as with anything you will need to tune the air to the tire and the car. worn bias ply tires will give you bad handling not doubt about it. now then has anyone ever worn out a set of radials or just had perfectly good looking tires blow out the side wall and lose your wheel cover? if I'm going to let a car sit in the garage and not drive it but rarely I'm looking for bias ply to let it sit on. I trust them I don't trust a radial tire even when they are new. now can some one say what is the difference between trailer service only and regualer tires

In case nobody ever noticed, I have been running bias on the rear of my 69s ever since I found out that there is no radial equal that keeps my speedometer accurate. Since mine are vintage, they have a habit of throwing chunks of rubber off. They all get tubed as old rims tend to leak and they help the tire last longer. I am always looking for more if anyone has any that need a good home. 8.90-15s in case there are other sizes. :thumbsup:

I think I would rather have a speedometer that was a mile or two off than have junk unsafe tires that throw chunks of rubber off them.

Now John, you ain't lived till you hear those chunks hitting the side of your car. Rare they blow out, just bounce along after that. Been there and done that alot in my early days at the funeral home.

No they are not going to blow out, he uses tubes in them. He says that old rims leak, I have owned many old cars and none of them had leaky rims. I dont even run tubes in my 49. I think the leak is comming from the old tires. I know I dont want my car damaged if I follow him and the whole tread comes off (Ive seen it happen before) especally since he already admitted they are already rotted enough to throw chuncks.

Back