Wiper Blade 101

Paul Steinberg

PCS Life Member President
Staff member
Super Site Supporter
In this segment, I will explain how to remove the wiper blade holder from the wiper arm. The arm is the part that is connected at one end to the wiper pivot, just below the lower edge of the windshield. The arm shown is a Trico brand arm that is typically used on General Motors cars of the 1950's and 1960's. In the first picture, you will see the blade holder as it is attached to the windshield wiper arm. In picture two, you will see how to remove the blade holder from the arm, by lifting the tab with a flat blade screwdriver, and sliding the blade holder off the arm. In the third picture, you can see the locking tab that holds the blade holder to the arm.

Attachments

• MVC-126F.JPG
    MVC-126F.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 199
  • MVC-127F.JPG
    MVC-127F.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 202
  • MVC-128F.JPG
    MVC-128F.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 189
Once you have the blade holder off the arm, then it is time to remove the rubber from the blade holder for replacement. I usually buy inexpensive rubber blades of the same size that I am replacing and install the rubber into the old blade holders for the original look. In this picture, I am showing a Anco brand blade holder, since that is what is on my 1962 Chevrolet. To remove the blade rubber, you start by pushing down on the red button and slide the blade holder to one side to release it. Once you have the blade rubber free from the holder, it will become evident how to proceed. The only tricky part of the Anco blade holders is that you need to squeeze the metal track together to get it to release. For this, use a small pair of pliers. Please see pictures for more details..

Attachments

• MVC-129F.JPG
    MVC-129F.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 191
  • MVC-130F.JPG
    MVC-130F.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 192
  • MVC-131F.JPG
    MVC-131F.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 193
  • MVC-132F.JPG
    MVC-132F.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 191
have you

Paul,
Have you ever heard of 'pocket' screw drivers? I think the one in the picture was more tool than you needed.
Mike

Paul,
Have you ever heard of 'pocket' screw drivers? I think the one in the picture was more tool than you needed.
Mike

never send a boy to do a mans job. we do sometimes forget that there are people that did not have the opportunity to learn even the simple things for automotive repair. keep going Paul I want to see you get it back on with out cutting you finger.

Still have all my fingers intact with no cuts, scrapes, or bruises.. Here is the wiper arm reinstalled... Note that the left end of the left blade is lower than the right end of the blade. This is per the factory assembly manual to keep the top edge of the blade from traveling too far, and hitting the windshield side molding..

Attachments

• MVC-125F.JPG
    MVC-125F.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 142
Here is another version of the Anco wiper blade. These were used on a lot of Chrysler cars as standard equipment, and were also available in the aftermarket as replacements. The U shaped design of the blade is to hold it to the windshield under high pressure wind, such as driving on the highway during a rain storm. They were called Anco Anti Lift blades. This is pictured on my 1963 Pinner Chrysler Ambulance. In the left hand picture, you can see the release button to replace the wiper rubber. The right hand picture shows the arm attachment to the blade.

Attachments

• MVC-133F.JPG
    MVC-133F.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 105
  • MVC-134F.JPG
    MVC-134F.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 109
Back