62 Eureka distributor rebuild

I looked in the recommended vendor section with no result.
I would think a good mechanic can easily rebuild it.
After you have it rebuilt make sure you put good quality points in, the cheap priced ones are junk. Or for around $100 you can get a Peretronix kit that changes it to electronic ignition, it all fits in the original cap, and looks original, and very reliable.

distributer

D U I makes a direct replacement electronic distributer for about 90.00 bucks. one wire and your done. hotter spark for cleaner burn and total reliability. petronic is direct repacement for your points and condensor but the H E I distributer comes loaded and ready to install. ran a petronic in my 71 but had problems with gap set. you could get a used hei from a salvage yard and would probaly work just fine but its used. just my experience...

plugs

forgot, you will be able to run diffrent plugs also. the gap will be greater to compensate for the hotter spark. new wires also, beleive me a electronic dist. is the way to go.

I haven't found anyone that I can recommend to you, and I have been looking for over a year now. I have a A1-Cardone distributor in my 1963 Pinner Chrysler, since the original one failed on the road, and that was the only way to get the car running in a hurry. The problem is that most distributors need to have new busing installed, so the shaft turns true and without wobble. Chrysler distributors were not true and wobble free from the day that they were built.
I did find this article on the Internet that explains how to do it yourself, if you are so inclined... < click here

Another article on a Corvette forum... < click here

With a GM engine, getting the distributor back in can be tricky, so I suggest that you make sure that the engine is set with number 1 cylinder at top dead center, with the timing mark on 0. This will make it easier to index the distributor for proper firing order when you put it back into the engine.

Below is a list of a company that do distributor rebuilding, however, this isn't an endosement.

Advanced Distributors
17495 Marystown Road
Shakopee, MN 55379
(612)-804-5543
http://www.advanceddistributors.com/

Petronix

Aloha

I plan to rebuild and put in Petronix III module inside that way it will be electronic ignition but look stock. They claim multi fire, hotter spark, high voltage when used with their 40K voltage low resistance coil.

What plugs and gap should I use for my 1962 390 V8 with the new set up?

Mahalo
RIcky

BTW where do I find instructions on how to put a picture of my Hearse with the post like you guys do?

plugs

ricky, 35 gap to 40 depends on gas quality also. i run autolite plugs and have had no issues. ran them in my race cars and never had issues. pm paul as he has the info you need. if your not a site supporter tou have to post in a album...

Aloha

I plan to rebuild and put in Petronix III module inside that way it will be electronic ignition but look stock. They claim multi fire, hotter spark, high voltage when used with their 40K voltage low resistance coil.

What plugs and gap should I use for my 1962 390 V8 with the new set up?

Mahalo
RIcky

BTW where do I find instructions on how to put a picture of my Hearse with the post like you guys do?

If I remember right, (its been over 10 years since I installed one), the instructions with the kit will tell you what the plug gap should be.

site support

Originally Posted by Ricky Jones View Post

Originally Posted by Paul
By becoming a site supporter by clicking on the yellow button in the upper left hand corner..

Paul I am a PSC dues paying member already. So I guess site support in addition to that?
Thanks RIcky

spark plugs

Quote: President-Iowa Hawkeye Chapter of the PCS

If I remember right, (its been over 10 years since I installed one), the instructions with the kit will tell you what the plug gap should be.

John

It does not mention plugs in instructions only coil.

Should I use a "hotter plug" or standard for Cadillac 390 only gaped at 30 to 40?

Thanks
RIcky

Yes.. Site support is different that PCS Membership.

Concerning the gap, I would open the gap about 10 thousands, and see how it performs. If you get detonation, then put it back to the factory spec. Just because you have a hotter spark, there is no reason on your car to open the gap, in my opinion. I had a very early (1963) transistorized ignition with a hotter coil on my 1963 Corvair Spyder, and even back then, they didn't recommend opening the gap more than 10 thousands, and suggested that if there is preignition (pinging) to close it back to factory spec. Personally, I believe that the opening of the gap is more advertising fluff than it is performance related. They want you to believe that because of the hotter spark, that it needs a larger gap to create a hotter spark. Usually when you start going outside of the factory specs, you are looking for trouble. I would also use a better quality spark plug such as Denso or NGK. AC's are as bad as they can get, and still work, and GM products usually don't do well with Champions. I have had the best luck with the NGK in my Corvair Turbo Spyder, although the poor quality gasoline that we get today, causes detonation constantly, unless I retard the ignition.

Quote: President-Iowa Hawkeye Chapter of the PCS

John

It does not mention plugs in instructions only coil.

Should I use a "hotter plug" or standard for Cadillac 390 only gaped at 30 to 40?

Thanks
RIcky

Thanks. Like I said its been along time since I did one. The more I think about it, its been closer to 20 years since I did one. Is there a 1-800 number on the box, or website? maybe they can help with the gap question. Its worth a shot anyway.

Back