Siren-Beacon Combo.....

James Fischer

PCS Member
Can anyone identify this siren/beacon ?
The car it is on is a 1984 Georgia State Trooper vehicle it is owned by a local CHP officer....he told me he has beensearching off/on for over 6 years to find out...no one seems to know...
I promised him that if anyone knew..it would be a PCS member.....here on the board.......:applause:

DSCN2174.jpg

Just from general appearances it looks like it was made by Whelen with a strobe top and speaker base. No idea of a model name or number.:confused2::myopinion:

Oh yes once again rare and desirable come head to head. can you spill hokey boys and girls. one good look and one realises why somethings are rare. the more I look at this the more Homer Simpson comes to mind

The reason that they are rare, is because they failed frequently soon after purchase. Not exactly a quality built product in the early days of strobes.

Failed partly because...

The early models were single flash and as I understand many didnt like the amount of light they gave. The later 99 series were a little sturdier and had a speaker base that used the strobe and rotater types. I have a 994 in my collection, this light was used by Detroit PD for quite a time.

That Whelen strobe/speaker unit was used on PA State Trooper cars as well into the 1980's. I can attest to the fact that, with one of those single-flash strobes and a GE Powercall in wail-only mode at 58 watts, you couldn't see it and you couldn't hear it. They started adding wig-wag headlights about that time and it helped.

Attachments

• PASP70s.jpg
    PASP70s.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 618
Remember driving to Florida,Steves right could not see or hear them until he got beside you with the police stop plate centre of the hood,and a glare like you dumbass canadian.and a very prominent finger pointing at the side of the road.......:stop:

Back