XTS hearses side by side

Accubuilt must have had a six year old design their cars. Federal and Eagle by far look the best but the Federal top is too tall. Such a shame there are no commercial glass cars anymore.

Tom McPherson and Walt McCall went to the Accubuilt yesterday. They know Tom well there so...he was able to shoot photos fairly freely inside and outside the plant despite being there only a short time. He said that while they all look truly awful, he regrets to say that the Lincolns look marginally better than the Cadillacs. He did mention the flimsey fiberglass panels and was apalled that. The Cadillac-based cars are reportedly wierd-looking from any angle and especially horrible from the rear. While Accubuilt's new rear door mechanism is novel and possibly even a functonal benefit, he reports that he thinks that there's a possibily that if it fails on a service it could be a disaster for a funeral director. There is now no real visual difference between an S&S and a Superior with the exception of nameplate and coachlights. I find that really disturbing. It means that for all practical purposes S&S is, in reality, dead and lingers on as a badge engineered Superior only. Now, that's truly distressing. The demise of an industry icon. Instead of letting the brand suffer such an indignity, they should have just let it die. To my mind, a badge engineered S&S sullies the brands reputation and heritage. It's smacks of the old original Lincoln Versailles - a Ford Granada or Mercury Monarch with a wart on the trunk that they called a Lincoln. The only difference is that there was more visual difference between a Granada and a Versailles than there is between a new 2013 Superior and a comparable S&S. It's a crying shame. And, in addion to this, Tom says that no one there even recognizes or appreciates that 2013 is Superior's 90th anniversary. Bet they don't make it to 100!

Instead of letting the brand suffer such an indignity, they should have just let it die. To my mind, a badge engineered S&S sullies the brands reputation and heritage. It's smacks of the old original Lincoln Versailles - a Ford Granada or Mercury Monarch with a wart on the trunk that they called a Lincoln. The only difference is that there was more visual difference between a Granada and a Versailles than there is between a new 2013 Superior and a comparable S&S. It's a crying shame. And, in addion to this, Tom says that no one there even recognizes or appreciates that 2013 is Superior's 90th anniversary. Bet they don't make it to 100!

Keith, the Versailles also got rear disc brakes.

I agree, let S&S fade away.

The rear door on that new Superior struck me as something that was snazzy and eye catching now, but could be potential problems years down the road... sometimes simple works best...

Carry a broomstick for when the lift pistons give out. That's simple!

(EMSA ambulance in Tulsa had a couple of 1980 Modulance Olympian ambulances. These had hatchback style doors on the back of a box ambulance. The name derives from the fact that Modulance was the official ambulance supplier of the 1980 Winter Olympics in Lake Placid, NY. Anyway, when the pistons went out about 1984 and the hatch doors bopped patients on the head, they resorted to carrying broomsticks. I think the folks were happy the Olympians were destroyed in a flash flood shortly thereafter - and they may have even pushed the rigs into the river!)

All I can say is, we are in lots of trouble boys and girls. What the hell ever happened to a thing called style? The cars don't look bad, but the way the hearses look is awful. The only decent looking hearse is the limo-style.

new coaches

i can see it now, box hearses. remember when box ambulances came out and everyone said how flugly they were? what else will there be? no big cars,no station wagons, just cars that all luck alike. ill say it again, buy all the big coaches you can. recycle without hugging a tree. i agree with bill, the limo style aint to awfull but its still awfull. makes you start to like the lincolns.

It appears that very few PCS members like the new pro cars available today. I know that some of our members have, or have access to the necessary resources to make their own custom vehicles. Wouldn't it be great if we as a group could develop our own concept car incorporating all of the past styling but with todays opportunities. I read the posts and see similar comments about roof height, glass height, landau bar placement, etc. I've got to believe that with all of the PCS contacts out there that there would be a market for something "new". I know there are members that are funeral directors or have been and I know there are members that worked in coach manufaturing that would have ideas and know how to develop something worthy of future generations interest. Why wouldn't a group of people that have become the "authority" on pro car history try to save the pro car legacy by keeping the traditions alive that made our hobby what it is? It's to bad that we don't have the financial ability to develop a car to present to the industry which would show them what we believe should be avaialble. It seems that todays market is relying on necessity rather than style to sell its product. :my2cents::myopinion::soapbox:

Back