Full VU (VUE) lights

I understand the full vu lights were an aircraft beacon? I would assume an aircraft is not 12V how were they modified or did they just run them at 12V (I assume slowly).

Although they were manufactured by Grimes, the lights used on Miller Meteor ambulances were not aircraft lights. The only shared piece was the red glass lens. Grimes aircraft beacons had a single par36 sealed beam lamp in the base which reflected off of a rotating dual sided mirror. The motor for the mirror was mounted in the upper portion of the housing. I have one around here somewhere, if I can find it I'll post a picture.

Yes, and to add to that, the Ful-Vu lights had 12v bulbs and motors.

I once contacted a used aircraft parts dealer (aircraft junkyard), the kind of place where the guys know most every part for most every plane by sight. I thought it would be a bounty of glass lenses, but alas, they did not recognize it.........

Are those really the correct lenses for the ful-vue?

I guess it could be correct.... not sure from the description?

The units should be open for inspection on the day of the auction. If the boxes all have the same markings as to their contents, then opening one should reveal if the lenses are a match to those used for the Ful-Vu.

Here's the picture from the auction:

grimes.jpg

Did anybody here win any of these auctions?

Steve,
I bid on them, but was outbid. This was a sealed bid auction, so it's impossible to find out who the winning bidder was or what the winning bid amount was. If I was a betting man I'd say they are now in the possesion of a Funeral Director who has a passion for Ful-Vu lights.

Kurt... would you mind disclosing what you bid was? That way, we will have an idea of how much more someone else paid. It is my guess that these were probably bought by an vintage aviation parts dealer, since they have a lot more value for replacement parts on an airplane than they would on an ambulance. thanks Paul

Kurt... would you mind disclosing what you bid was? That way, we will have an idea of how much more someone else paid. It is my guess that these were probably bought by an vintage aviation parts dealer, since they have a lot more value for replacement parts on an airplane than they would on an ambulance. thanks Paul

Paul,
Since it was a sealed bid auction, the other bid could have been $2.00 higher than mine or $2000.00 higher. There's no way of knowing. In a sealed bid they go by the amount you bid, not by increments over the next lower bidder, as in a proxy bid auction.

For example:
Proxy auction, my bid is $500.00 the other bidder's bid is $1000.00.
Bid increments are $25.00.
Final price $525.00

Sealed Bid auction, my bid is $500.00, other bidder's bid is $1000.00
Final Price $1000.00

I know how the bidding process works. What I asked was what amount did you bid. If you bid $500, then we would know that they sold for more than $500, but we wouldn't know how much more. If you choose not to say how much you bid, then that is your prerogative. Just say that.

I think the valuable thing that came from this discussion and the auction is the knowledge that there really is an aircraft light that uses the red lense we need - and we have the part number for the light as well. Something to look for in future government surplus sales.

Interestingly, the amount the government paid for their lights - which are different from the Full-Vu's but use the same glass lens - was listed. The government paid $1600 each new! So if you think those Full-Vu's that come up on E-bay from time to time are expensive........ :eek::D

Back