Ambulance Crews In Action

funny how different the view is when your waiting for something to happen. we did stand by a lot. got a good seat to see the event but it just not the same as setting in the stands.

silva's ambulance

This is what they looked like in the 70's.

Did you work for Silva's ? I was just a kid back then and thought ambulances were cool . I lived in Pacifica from 1969-1976 and Bay Area Ambulance was the main service . Mercy-Peninsula would come in from time to time to back those guys up . I always thought Silva's rigs were ugly until I saw those baby blue and white police cars SFPD had !

Did you work for Silva's ? I was just a kid back then and thought ambulances were cool . I lived in Pacifica from 1969-1976 and Bay Area Ambulance was the main service . Mercy-Peninsula would come in from time to time to back those guys up . I always thought Silva's rigs were ugly until I saw those baby blue and white police cars SFPD had !

I worked in Santa Clara County, and owned Los Gatos Ambulance Service. When transporting patients into San Mateo County hospitals I would encounter the services that were based in that area. These included Silva's, Mercy-Peninsula, California, and Bay Area. Palo Alto Ambulance serviced both counties, as it was based in a border city. They had the contract for East Palo Alto when it was an unincorporated area, as well as Meno Park, Portola Valley, and Atherton. Their rigs had three radios; company, and one for each of the counties. The difficulty for the crews was that the two counties used differnt radio codes.

Last edited:
I worked in Santa Clara County, and owned Los Gatos Ambulance Service. When transporting patients into San Mateo County hospitals I would encounter the services that were based in that area. These included Silva's, Mercy-Peninsula, California, and Bay Area. Palo Alto Ambulance serviced both counties, as it was based in a border city. They had the contract for East Palo Alto when it was an unincorporated area, as well as Meno Park, Portola Valley, and Atherton. Their rigs had three radios; company, and one for each of the counties. The difficulty for the crews was that the two counties used differnt radio codes.

The radio codes could get quite confusing , if you had two county radios . My dad worked for many years as a cop with SFPD and one day for my 10th birthday , he got me a Radio Shack Patrolman 4 radio so I could listen in on police calls . I got familiar of what a 459 , 800 , 519 , & 221 ect. was . But since we lived in Pacifica , they used a different code system . A psychaitric case was a 5150 , injury crash 11-80 if major injury , 11-81 if minor . 10-73 meant man with a gun . Up here in Idaho , plain text language is mostly used along with the APCO 10 code .

When I became an EMT , there would be services form other jurisdictions and companies there at the ER and it became more than a social gathering when we put the rigs back together after a call . We'd ask our fellow techs and medics how their day was going and what patient they just brought in and eventually , we would see these guys later .

San Mateo and Santa Clara County had a pretty progressive EMS system for it's time with all those ambulance services before AMR came in and brought up all those mom & pop companies and put many out of business !

EMS Standbys

I think some of the best standby gigs were when the President came to town and you drove in the motorcade with a Secret Service agent or two riding with you in the rig. Pretty soft duty. Good food. Occasionally got to shake hands with the President.

Some of the weird FBI or other federal agency standbys were interesting too. Serving federal warrants, or their SWAT team stuff. These often turned in to pretty long days.

Most of these standby events were planned in advance, so they were good for overtime. They rarely took the on-duty crews for these kind of events.

This picture was scanned from a welcome packet that was given to patients at Wesley Medical Center as they were admitted. The cars shown are:

1963 Crown Royale Landaulet ambulance - Gold Cross A.S.
1965 Consort - Metropolitan A.S.
1965 Rescuer - Gold Cross

Each of these cars had a Strat-O-Ray beacon. The one on the '63 was flanked by four Do-Ray lollipops.

The whistle on the Pontiac is a Sireno Jetstream. It, like the Mars Commander, was offered for a time as (weak) competition to the Q.

The Consort can also be seen here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160760896779?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Last I heard mae was in a nursing home in Aylmer,Ont.remember the old house they used at borden for stair chair training, that doubled as a target for the artillery,those days we will never forget,when I started we wore whites,good for one and a half calls,I started with the transition from bonnevilles to the new and improved ford econolines,oh the memories....

This shot was taken on the US 66 bypass somewhere on the northwest side of Oklahoma City in the 1950s. I don't know which firm the Pontiac belonged to.

(SL collection)

Attachments

• 1950s accident scene NW Oklahoma City.jpg
    1950s accident scene NW Oklahoma City.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 451
This picture is from a fascinating website...

http://www.ohptrooper.com/home.htm

...on this page:

http://www.ohptrooper.com/past.htm

"Circa 1946 photo of a car/pedestrian accident scene, location unknown. The backside of the photo is marked, Jim Ury #55. If anyone can identify the two troopers let me know. The photo is courtesy of OHP Troop K Chief Dispatcher Shawn Lockwood."

Funeral home employees, operating a Chevrolet combination, discuss the incident with troopers.

Attachments

• Car vs pedestrian.jpg
    Car vs pedestrian.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 437
Will put back on the forum this short scene, I know one of the ambulance drivers who worked back in 1971 during the disaster.

direct link:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfRSOd9X5Os[/ame]

Bump... do you have any additional pictures to share? Free picture hosting is available to all registered members.

1976 Cadillac Superior being used to train Bergen County EMT students during 2011 class. Helen and I were fortunate to be able to purchase this unit in April, 2017.

Attachments

• .2011 MCI.jpg
    .2011 MCI.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 199
here is a shot of them loading Dead Wood Dick in the winter. the coach is chained up and they are being pulled out with a dump truck. has to be some time in the late 40s

Attachments

• loading 1940 s winter.jpg
    loading 1940 s winter.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 174
Back