Goodhew Ambulance Red color?

Someone said this ambulance in the pictures 'MIGHT' be an ex-Goodhew ambulance but is still not sure.

Does this red look like the red Goodhew ambulances were painted?

Does anyone here know what red paint Goodhew used in the 1960's?

Attachments

• s-l1600-1.jpg
    s-l1600-1.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 434
  • s-l1600-6.jpg
    s-l1600-6.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 411
  • s-l1600-13.jpg
    s-l1600-13.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 429
  • s-l1600-18.jpg
    s-l1600-18.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 421
  • s-l1600-22.jpg
    s-l1600-22.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 478
  • s-l1600-23.jpg
    s-l1600-23.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 401
Will as they say this one has a repaint. You can see were they taped the molding off and did not remove it. Then were the damaged from the rear bumper. this one left superior white. Who and why it has been repaint and what they used is only guess work.

I was speaking with the seller this evening and he's going to send me some larger pictures in a couple of days. He said the color is a sort of red-orange-brown with a very subtle metallic, most likely a 1950's-1960's paint.

I'll have to look through some color chip books and see if I can find a color in the ballpark for my '64 ambulance model build.

This one looks to me more the of the "root beer" color that SCHAFFER Ambulance used in the same area and era. PCS / So Cal President & B&M Siren Owner Kevin O'Connell will probably know for sure. MM

Michael, on my screen it looks like Matador Red. That is the factory color of my 1963 Series 62.

Philip, I have a 1964 Cadillac Color Chip sheet and Matador Red looks like a dark almost brown-red. It might be the color but the color chip sheet is old and the colors might not be 100% correct.

Can you post some pictures of your 1963 Matador Red Series 62 or send them to me in a PM?

Mike.

Paint

I was speaking with the seller this evening and he's going to send me some larger pictures in a couple of days. He said the color is a sort of red-orange-brown with a very subtle metallic, most likely a 1950's-1960's paint.

I'll have to look through some color chip books and see if I can find a color in the ballpark for my '64 ambulance model build.

My 61 is a original red color , if that helps any?

Attachments

• DSC02276.jpg
    DSC02276.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 325
Michael, I will try to find photo and have someone send it to you. Until then, Google 1963 Cadillac paint colors and you will see several paint chip charts for sale on Ebay. The Matador red on the screen in the charts looks exactly like the paint on may car.

Now guys you can't match a color off the computer screen or a picture. This one being repainted is even more of a guess. You can see the bad touch on the backside because someone having the car had trouble matching it. These high matellics you get a different people painting a car and the will all come out a different shade. The same man painting on different days will come up with a different shade.

If you don't have the car or access to the brand and part number. It a crap shoot. Pick one pant the modal and say it as close as I can guess on a,64 car repainted for a a movie what ever year it was done. But unless you have a good air brush set up it will come out way to dark on the modal as you putting on a film thickness 10 times what the 1 to 1 would be.

Ed, I do have a good airbrush and compressor. I use an Iwata Eclipse HP-CS airbrush and Iwata Power Jet Pro 2 piston compressor with a 2 liter air tank. I'm able to really thin the paint and spray it on as thin as I need.

VW had a color from 1957-59 called Cardinal Red that is a metallic. The metallics from the 1950's and early to mid 60's are more subtle which makes them good for small scale models. So far this might be the closest I can find. Its in the ballpark.

Attachments

• 212377.jpg
    212377.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Regarding painting models with "real" auto paint, when I had my '70 M-M Volunteer restored, as they reached the paint stage on the restoration, I also reached the paint stage on my model of it. The solution? I had them paint my model with the exact paint they were painting the real car with. They did it, and it turned out very nicely.

Attachments

• DSC06508 - Copy.jpg
    DSC06508 - Copy.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 143
Steve, that model looks fantastic and the color is spot on.

The trick to using real auto paint on a plastic model is making sure there is good coverage with primer and applying the first few coats as light mist coats. This is especially important when using auto lacquer. The mist coats will dry more quickly so the solvent doesn't have time to eat through the primer. Waiting 15 - 30 minutes in between coats is very important.

My compressor is a 5 horse Wyoming two stage puts out around 12 c.f. at 90 pls. I'm using a old Devilbis sj . I do have a harbor freight detail gun for light work.

Regarding painting models with "real" auto paint, when I had my '70 M-M Volunteer restored, as they reached the paint stage on the restoration, I also reached the paint stage on my model of it. The solution? I had them paint my model with the exact paint they were painting the real car with. They did it, and it turned out very nicely.

Hey!! I drove that car! The real one, not the model!

Back