Anybody know how long it took to build a hearse in 1964?

Trying to research how long it took to build my 1964 Superior Combo. I've read cover to cover the Superior book, but can't find it. I'm curious about from the time the chassis arrived to ready for delivery. Maybe even how many men worked on it over that time. Anhybody out there have an answer?

Doug

From the time we started on the chassis to completion the average time was six weeks for a hearse or combination eight weeks for a high top ambulance.

At Comet (C/B) it was about the same time, don't know about Superior.

With us it took several stops with different amounts of personel. The average stations were, chassis extension, body building, roof installation, door building, metal finishing, paint, upholstery and final prep for delivery. Some of our employees had several skills.

I was talking with Paul the other day about the men that custom built these coaches. The skills they possessed and some like my dad, Horace Davis, Denton Edgar, Ray Bell and my brother Tom were artist at the trade. Most could do more that one operation.

Jack Pinner
Pinner Coach Company
1958-1971

Thank you for the information. During the restoration of my car, I'm amazed at how many "professional" car people think that a hearse is made up from a regular caddy with a big roof added. As we get into all the custom fabrication, people are blown away by the engineering and craftsmanship. I know I am. As with alot of the older trades, what people like you and your father did is becoming a lost art. I'm so lucky to be able to hold on to 1 piece of that era. I salute you all who worked in the professional car profession!

The skills they possessed and some like my dad, Horace Davis, Denton Edgar, Ray Bell and my brother Tom were artist at the trade. Most could do more that one operation.

This is what amazes me about the these vehicles the amount of hand work that went into them and they look as good if not better in fit and finish on some factory offerings . My 62 and 65 are to me outstanding example of the coach builders work.

Attachments

• DSC04244.jpg
    DSC04244.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 461
  • DSC06453 - Copy.jpg
    DSC06453 - Copy.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 624
When one considers that my 1963 Chrysler started life as a 4 door sedan, and when finished, it looks more like a station wagon is amazing. When I tell people that it started as a 4 door sedan, they can't believe it. When I had the front door apart, I could see that the outer door skin was totally fabricated after the door was stretched. It is the same with the rear door. It is a wonder that they were able to get the car together with a fit and finish that so closely resembles a factory built car.

I know what you mean. People cant believe it when I tell them my 85 Superior Cadillac FWD and my 85 Eureka Pontiac both started out as two door cars.

I was sure I'd seen the new Watson hearse

Doug,

While I wasn't around in '64, I did happen upon Accubuilt in '07 and took photos of what turned out to be your new hearse! See what happens when you order something unique...it is instantly recognizable later.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• piqua3 360.jpg
    piqua3 360.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 546
  • piqua3 361.jpg
    piqua3 361.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 580
  • piqua3 358.jpg
    piqua3 358.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 371
WOW...that's my baby. Looking at her right now. Thank you for taking time to shoot these pics. It also proves my point they forgot to put on the satellite antennae on the roof.....oops. Going to get it put on next week. BUT, I have to have $4000 worth of repairs done next week due to poor quality (my opinion) the fiberglass roof is cracking, the back door is rusted all along the lower edge, the door is dragging and has to be pulled AND the electric table is shorting out. You have to cross your fingers when you push the button and open and close the door to make contact. Oh well, it is what it is. Not bashing Accubuilt, but it is disappointing.

Oh, and 1 other item. Notice the back does NOT have an electic table? They screwed up and forgot to put it in and had to re-do it. That is awesome you have a pic of it without the electic table.......just sayin.

Oh, and 1 other item. Notice the back does NOT have an electic table? They screwed up and forgot to put it in and had to re-do it. That is awesome you have a pic of it without the electic table.......just sayin.

How does a manufacturer forget a little thing like not installing the electric table? I think that if the car has that many defects in it, that you should contact Accubuilt and ask them if they would be willing to take the car back and fix the issues at a reduced cost to you. After all, their reputation is riding on having a satisfied customer. A reputable company fixes inherent problems with their product when the defect comes to light, and doesn't try to hide behind an excuse.

Agreed

I agree with Paul's comments. I'd be pretty upset if my 3 year-old hearse had this many issues. I can see a little thing here or there, just based on all of what goes into building these cars, but the issues you have stated are significant.

Just curious: At what point was the table mistake discovered and how much longer after the promised delivery date was the car in your garage?

Sorry I didn't make myself clear. Accubuilt is paying for the repairs under their 4 year warranty. I had to get it authorized first. Nothing out of my pocket because I would have pitched a fit. They forgot the electric table and that added 3 weeks to delivery. I have photos of the problems I'll share with you all soon.

Oh I'd be very ill if that happened to me Doug! I'm supprised by the table ommission and the troubles you have had with your coach. BTW, hows that embalming table holding up for ya?

How does a manufacturer forget a little thing like not installing the electric table? I think that if the car has that many defects in it, that you should contact Accubuilt and ask them if they would be willing to take the car back and fix the issues at a reduced cost to you. After all, their reputation is riding on having a satisfied customer. A reputable company fixes inherent problems with their product when the defect comes to light, and doesn't try to hide behind an excuse.

When I was researching the ownership history on my coach, I found out that the original owner had so many problems with it in the first two years that S&S took the car back in 1988 and replaced with a NEW 88 coach and then reworked the car, sold it to Baines, who then resold it to owner #2.

Back