Mars DX-40

Wow is right!

As you may know, I aquired Captain Video's (Dave McC) 1957 MM Ambulance. I have decided that the restoration would entail changiing it to a CFD ambulance of the period.

John Dorgan was especially helpful in locating a Mars DX-40, a Mars Commander siren and two "bullet style with incandecent bulbs" 888 lights for the fenders. All have been restored and look brand new. I can't wait to see them on the car!

Given what the DX-40 sold for on ebay, I'm pretty sure I spent about that amount for everything.:stars:

Hopefully the car wll be revealed in the foreseeable future!

Rick

There really isn't much to say about the DX-40. It was introduced in 1950. The two sychronized reflectors oscillate side to side. Each held a #1019 bulb, the same bulb used in the Federal Junior Beacon Ray. Mars RB-10 beacon domes (glass) were mounted sideways. Although sold in respectable numbers, the survival rate for these lights is fairly low. Even before eBay DX-40's were selling in the $400.00 to $600.00 range. Here in California, DX-40's were used by Pomona PD and San Diego PD. Pomona Police Officers' association still has one on a '56 Pontiac. The smaller DX was more popular with law enforcement.

Attachments

• Pomona POA Car 2.jpg
    Pomona POA Car 2.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 851
Back