What do I have?

Can someone identify this siren/light? The badge is missing. I would like to locate a badge for it, but I have no idea what it is...I am guessing it is a Federal; I know that it is a 12V.

Thank you very kindly

Attachments

• $_57 (1).jpg
    $_57 (1).jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 515
  • $_57 (2).jpg
    $_57 (2).jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 509
  • $_57.jpg
    $_57.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 515
If it used a flasher and a red lens in front of the bulb, then the clear fog light is correct. Most of the lights of that vintage used the red lens in front of the bulb. The civilian siren lights were usually chrome, and the military units were painted olive drab. I'll bet that if you were to scratch the paint off of it, at the bottom layer, it will be olive drab.

I am not sure if it is supposed to have a red or clear lens, but the person that I bought it from included a red lens with the whole thing...I cannot get the bezel off to put it on :rolleyes: It is really stuck on there, and I do not want to damage it with a tool. I got the siren for the fun of it, I don't really need it for anything...It is cool though. thanks for all of the information!

If it used a flasher and a red lens in front of the bulb, then the clear fog light is correct. Most of the lights of that vintage used the red lens in front of the bulb. The civilian siren lights were usually chrome, and the military units were painted olive drab. I'll bet that if you were to scratch the paint off of it, at the bottom layer, it will be olive drab.

As Paul and others have said... it's most likely a military issue. I bought (2) N.O.S. 24-V Versions still in causmoline <without> the front light 15+ years ago from John Dorgan and sold them them later to a fellow ATHS Member that specialized in WW-II Military Vehicles. As I recall those had a "W" as the 1st letter in the model designator? MM

here is a picture of the military one I have it labeled with a different number. most likely because it a different siren

Attachments

• federal #xg-d-71 24 volt.jpg
    federal #xg-d-71 24 volt.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 402
Not certain,but...

I'm not certain, but I seem to remember this siren from 50's or 60's Federal catalogs as being designed to be "weatherproof"...won't freeze up or ice up. I think that might be what the "w" stands for. Not sure,tho, so take this info with a grain of salt.

As on the cube van earlier this week, Federal XL. Be interested to know what kind of sound it generates.
For the size siren it is (6" rotor), the XL had a decent sound. With that cast housing around it, the tone is a bit deeper than the average W-series siren. A majority of the X series were 24-volt, built for the military.

When my late dad was active in the Air Force Reserve back in the '60s (he retired as a Lt . Col. in the late 70s) he was part of a Recovery Squadron based at Midland Internat'l Airport during the Viet Nam era. While they never actually did anything to speak of, the idea was to have damaged aircraft rerouted to Midland. Nice idea, but they didn't do much. He served as public information officer, which I was neat for me since I was a journalism student at the local community college back then. Inside their offices was an old XL siren mounted up in the rafters as an alert siren. You could hear it all over the building and even outside for a short distance.

For the size siren it is (6" rotor), the XL had a decent sound. With that cast housing around it, the tone is a bit deeper than the average W-series siren. A majority of the X series were 24-volt, built for the military.

When my late dad was active in the Air Force Reserve back in the '60s (he retired as a Lt . Col. in the late 70s) he was part of a Recovery Squadron based at Midland Internat'l Airport during the Viet Nam era. While they never actually did anything to speak of, the idea was to have damaged aircraft rerouted to Midland. Nice idea, but they didn't do much. He served as public information officer, which I was neat for me since I was a journalism student at the local community college back then. Inside their offices was an old XL siren mounted up in the rafters as an alert siren. You could hear it all over the building and even outside for a short distance.

Forgot to mention: That siren was also 24-volt.

Back