1938 DeSoto

Text and photos from August, 2010 "Collectible Automobile" magazine, with permission: "DeSoto sold only 81 seven-passenger limousines in 1938. Some - probably not very many - were converted with a removable center pillar on the right side that allowed the car to be used as an ambulance or, with seats installed, funeral car."

Attachments

• 1939 DeSoto.jpg
    1939 DeSoto.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 907
Sedan-Ambulance

One of my 1st cars as a teenager was a 1938 Buick Series 90 that had been converted "in-house" by Our Local (Fallbrook, CA) Fire Dept. As I recall the center post was welded to the RR Suicide Door and pinned at the floor to open wide for a stretcher. The VFD Chief then also owned a welding shop. MM

The Philadelphia Cabulance (Yellow Cab) had a whole fleet of these cars in the 50s perhaps someone with better computer skills can find an image I can Not. I think folks would be interested in seeing. Good Luck with a search.

Cabulance

Advertised as ink blotter. "PHILADELPHIA, May 16, 1964— A local syndicate has agreed to purchase the Yellow Cab Company of Philadelphia from the Bankers Securities Corporation, it was announced today. The transaction involves 98.5 per cent of the cab company's outstanding capital stock. Members of the syndicate are Alfred Blasband, president of Yellow Cab; William A. Schnader, a lawyer, and the brokerage firm of Butcher & Sherrerd. The change in ownership will not involve any changes in management, personnel or standards of service, it was announced. Yellow Cab operates 1,500 taxis in Philadelphia and Camden, airport limousines, a “cabulance” service and chauffeured limousines."

Attachments

• Cabulance.jpg
    Cabulance.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 613
Last edited:
Back