'67 Ford Station Wagon Ambulance

From the photos provided, I don't see any indication it ever had any kind of roof lights, nor do I see a siren anywhere. Doesn't look like it ever had a cot bar either. Still, a very sharp car, all that I mentioned easily taken care of.

The roof vent and additional interior dome lights are what lead me to think that it may have been a first-call car or coroner's wagon.

There is something else that seems strange to me, Ford started in 1965 putting a pair of twin facing rear seats, as opposed to the third seat, as this car has. And on another note, the front seat is different from the center seat and the third seat is different from both of those. So, it is my opinion that this was originally a six-passenger wagon. It should also be noted, that the center seat in a Country Sedan, or Country Squire Ford wagon, did not have a split in it, due to the configuration of the seats in the third row area and the Ford Magic tailgate that opened down and also opened like a door for passengers. So this car is a mystery, but it looks decent.

A couple of interesting details take note left front view of engine bracket on top of frame horn looks like mounting bracket for small siren. Right front view of engine compartment shows heavy cable on battery side of starter solenoid running back along fender apron perhaps radio power or eventually found its way to the siren bracket. This was a common hook up on Ford police cars of the era. Lastly the front of the hood has no F O R D letters in place #1 could have been hit and letters left off in repair or as they did in Philadelphia removed a POLICE sticker put on front of hood can you say AMBULANCE??? Finally must be a joy to drive we had one 67 Cop Car without Power Steering and I have driven B-61 Macks that steered easier.

Stratford Ontario ambulance service of old had a similar rig,no lights,no siren a red spotlight he hung from rear view mirror,and a heavy hand on the horn,a cot he rolled into the back for a patient, said it was his backup car,this was in the day of call jumping etc.

I don't believe that the second and third seats are out of a Ranch Wagon, or even the same car for that matter. That upholstery pattern may have been used in a Country Squire, but not a Ranch Wagon. I would say that its current owner added the third seat to make it a 9 passenger wagon, and also swapped out the second seat for some reason. Second and third seats are definitely not original to that car. They may have removed the second seat when in service so they could utilize that space for another purpose. It may have been missing when he purchased it.

Last edited:
Stratford Ontario ambulance service of old had a similar rig,no lights,no siren a red spotlight he hung from rear view mirror,and a heavy hand on the horn,a cot he rolled into the back for a patient, said it was his backup car,this was in the day of call jumping etc.

Remember those days well....ran many a call with just one steady burning red....and a heavy hand on the PA15 and yes....we were call jumping......LOL......;)

the engine bay shots so a will done repaint and not that long a go. the side light inside and roof vent are the only hint of former service. I guessing that the car had no seats in back except a jump seat and some one remover the ambulance floor and added the other seating to bring it back to a wagon. this is the way most f these conversions were lost. they just went back to being a wagon again.

I asked the seller about the seats; I am not sure that I am completely satisfied with the answer, but it is what it is:

On 9/19/15, 3:18 PM, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Vehicle condition: xxxxxxxx sent a message about Ford : Galaxie Station Wagon #111775073299

Hello,
Is the middle seat original to the vehicle? Would you please tell me why the upholstry is different on the front, middle and rear seats?

Thank you very kindly,

CS

Dear xxxxxxxx,

The middle seat is original. It's a base car , I'm pretty sure the seats are all different because of government livery. Jason

- invernessfalls

I asked the seller about the seats; I am not sure that I am completely satisfied with the answer, but it is what it is:

On 9/19/15, 3:18 PM, xxxxxxxx wrote:

Vehicle condition: xxxxxxxx sent a message about Ford : Galaxie Station Wagon #111775073299

Hello,
Is the middle seat original to the vehicle? Would you please tell me why the upholstry is different on the front, middle and rear seats?

Thank you very kindly,

CS

Dear xxxxxxxx,

The middle seat is original. It's a base car , I'm pretty sure the seats are all different because of government livery. Jason

- invernessfalls

Yeah, I am with you Channing. First of all, the front seat I believe to be original, draw your own conclusion on the center seat, my opinion, it is not original. As for the third row seat, there is no way it is original, see my previous post in this thread.

Having said all of this, I really think this is a good, solid car, incorrect seats really should not be the deciding factor.

We had many Ford Wagons For special ed school transportation in the late 60s. Kids did not like duel facing seats. We switched to big Mopars in 71 with rear facing seat better but still not popular with kids. Then 72 GM clam shell wagons front facing seats kids loved them, us well, 11 mpg Oh Well gas was cheap. On this Ford wagon my vote, front seat original Ranch Wagon (Squires were fancier). Center seat from much newer Mercury Colony Park. The third some earlier Ford or Mercury wagon perhaps 63 or 64 not sure.

The center seat looks more like it was Mercury and the third older Ford. No matter the car still is a nice looking 40+ station wagon... just my thought

Back