Roller Arrangement

...One additional shot not previously shared. Note Jewish treatment roller layout.

dsc04350e.jpg
OK, question. This was posted in another thread. So just what is a "Jewish treatment roller layout"? I've never heard of it.

What's the difference between it and anything else? Why is it? How common was it?

My guess would be the center roller placement. They would accomodate narrow coffins or caskets better. The outer rollers accomodate wider caskets better............

You are correct, it is the center roller placement, but I was not sure how it helped but your idea makes sence.
We have talked about them before but I could not find anything when searching, it may have been on the old website.

For the rest of the story, once the casket arrives at the grave side, someone, usually the Rabbi or a close family relative will use the shovel to symbolically crack the wooden slats before the casket is lowered into the grave. Once lowered into the grave, the Rabbi will say a prayer, and then using the backside of the shovel, put some dirt onto the casket. Then he will pass the shovel to the deceased closest relative, to do the same, and eventually all the people that are in attendance that would like to partake in this ritual, will have place dirt on the grave.
Something that is relatively new to the "traditional" Jewish funeral is for the Rabbi to sprinkle a small amount of dirt that is originally from Israel into the grave. This is symbolic to the deceased being buried in the Jewish homeland. Jewish funerals, like most religious funerals are also subject to local custom, and as such, I have seen a lot of variations through the years, and at different locations. The only thing that is consistent, is the inconsistency in customs. In the 1950's, I don't ever remember a Jewish person being buried in a metal casket. By the 1980's, it seemed to be quite commonplace. Also, the casket, no matter what it is made of, cannot have been worked on during the Sabbath (Saturday) and wooden caskets are supposed to be manufactured with no screws or nails, only pegs to hold it together. I don't know how much this is being adhered to today.

Thanks, I had missed the earlier discussion. I've never seen that arrangement.

Kevin, a traditional Jewish casket is wood so that the wood decomposes and it allows the body to decompose. As mentioned in the eariler thread, there is no embalming and no intention to "preserve" the body as a metal casket might. Dust to dust, as it were.

Thanks, I had missed the earlier discussion. I've never seen that arrangement.

Kevin, a traditional Jewish casket is wood so that the wood decomposes and it allows the body to decompose. As mentioned in the eariler thread, there is no embalming and no intention to "preserve" the body as a metal casket might. Dust to dust, as it were.

Steve, i assume no vault either?
Im not jewish but Im thinking more and more thats how I want to go. Ive been thinking alot about a green funeral lately, wrap me in a sheet and toss me in a hole so I can decompose as I was intended. I dont really see the point in preserving myself, I havent done anything in life to do that, why start then?
Sorry I got off topic here.

green funerals

my sister is trying to do green funerals but the roadblocks have been thrown up by the cemetarys. thought she had a surefire new deal but hasnt happened. found a cemetary 100 miles north that would allow it but embalming has caused a severe logjamb. no embalming and its ok, embalmed body no way.

In some Jewish cemeteries, they are now requiring vaults to alleviate the settling problem, however, the vault doesn't have a bottom, so the casket is still in contact with the earth.

In some Jewish cemeteries, they are now requiring vaults to alleviate the settling problem, however, the vault doesn't have a bottom, so the casket is still in contact with the earth.

Thanks, I never thought about a vault with no bottom. When I used to work at a cemetery, you sure could tell in the older section that no vaults were used.

Steve, i assume no vault either?
Im not jewish but Im thinking more and more thats how I want to go. Ive been thinking alot about a green funeral lately, wrap me in a sheet and toss me in a hole so I can decompose as I was intended. I dont really see the point in preserving myself, I havent done anything in life to do that, why start then?
Sorry I got off topic here.

May I ask a question ?.................. I may be way off here but....... why do we use Vaults and metal Caskets and embalming ?? I always thought embalming was for preserving the body for veiwing and thats it ?? I always thought that our bodies should go back into the earth.

so why and when did this change ?

I don't know much about the Funeral busness but why would you want to preserve a body ? what purpose does it serve ????

I'm not a "green" person by any means but wouldn't a wooden casket be cheaper to make and cut down on the cost of a funeral ?

I'm not here to offend any of our Funeral Directors on here I'm just curiors on what the thinking and customs are

The original purpose for MODERN embalming is (was) to preserve the body for viewing AND to kill disease causing pathogens for sanitary purposes. It started during the Civil War so mothers could view their sons who were killed in battle. It took a long time to return the deceased back home.

Embalming was originally performed in the egyptian era, but was for a different purpose and was different than MODERN Embalming.

A different subject for a different time.

Mike Boyer, the Mike in the above post pretty much said it all, but didnt mention the caskets. You can still buy wood, anything from the finest crafted ones costing much much more than a metal casket to simple pine boxes. The basic purpose of a vault is so the weight of the ground does not crush the casket, and then the ground would would have a grave sized low spot.

Back