Jammed Up Rear Windows???

I'm not sure if anyone else out there has had any dealings with anything like this, I would Assume soo..........

Recently I started to take apart one of the Rear Doors on my Superior Ambulance (Remove Trim, Remove the Upper Section, Door Jam Gaskets.....You get the Idea)
So I rolled the Window down so I would have Easier Access to all the Various Screws and Bolts Holding the Top Section together.

And Once I Completed that I attempted to roll the Window Back up so I Could Remove the Outside Door Handle and Outside Key Lock along with any Trim I could Access with the Window Rolled up.

Only when I went to roll the window up it went up about a 1/4 of the way before it stopped and seemed to almost lock up.

I Haven't Applied too much Pressure to anything on the Window Regulator Assembly in Fear that something could Break, Bend, Bust or Get Stripped, Thus Resulting in needing to be Replaced.

The Window Crank/Handle does not spin Freely so I don't feel that its Stripped Out (Or at least I hope its not) But it Does Turn, and the Window does not move.

What I'm hoping this is, is something fairly common and simple to fix.
(Obviously)

I haven't done much to the Rear Door on the Other side but I'm sure I will Run into the Same thing,

As I'm sure the Rear Windows on this Car (Like Many) Haven't been Rolled up or down in YEARS!

Any Help or Insight you can Offer is GREATLY Appreciated!

Thanks YET again,
-Ryan

Last edited:
The rear windows, as well as the front windows are moved up and down by what is known as a window regulator. It is a gear driven mechanism that takes the cranking motion of the window crank handle and transfers it to lifting and lowering the window glass. It is in the shape of an X and there are plastic rollers at the ends of the top part of the x, and the lower left (rear) of the X. The front lower part of the X is where the window crank is located. When you crank on the handle, the top part of the X gets tighter, and the window goes up. When you lower the window, the top part of the X spreads apart. The bottom left part of the X travels in a track that is mounted to the inside of the inner door panel. Now, you know how the window mechanism works.
The reason that your window is stuck is because the window glass is no longer in alignment with the window regulator. The easy fix is to now remove the the track that the lower left part of the X (window regulator) travels in. Once you remove this part, you will find the window will want to drop. Be careful not to break the glass. What I would do is to use some white or contrasting spray paint on the window regulator bolts, and then loosen them, or remove them. Once the regulator is loose, you can then disengage the window lower track from the regulator, and lift the glass out. Spraying the bolts with paint will help you to get the original alignment correct without much effort when you put the window back together.
A note of caution here is required, if the car has power windows. Never take a power window regulator motor off the window regulator, unless you first drill and bolt the moving parts together. If you don't do this, you run the risk of serious injury or death when the spring unwinds. This is only with power windows. In all cases, it is best to have the factory service manual as a guide. Even though these cars were custom built, the principles of operation are still consistent with the standard car of the same era.
When you put the window regulators and glass back together, the correct lubricant for the window regulator rollers is Lubriplate Lubricant Auto-Lube "A". It is GM group #8.800 Part # 1052196. It should be available at any larger GM dealer parts department, or a couple days available at smaller GM Dealers. I have no idea of cost, since I am still using the one can that I purchased many years ago. This is the GM approved lubricant for locks, hinges, springs, catches, and mechanical devices.

so lets just say a picture is worth at least a lot of typing when asking questions like this. but in a nut shell. like Paul said but if you have removed the upper frame then you have removed the guide for the glass. if it went up and down OK before the its has fell in or out - top or bottom. you can then crank it up or down tell it catches on what ever it is catching on. look it over push or pull the glass still on the rollers till it moves free. some times you loose the pitch roller that has the guide on the inside of the door frame. and that will catch when you crank on it. if you bare into it something will brake. it will move free when you see what it's catching on and move the glass away from it. here is picture of the regulator and moving parts out of a 75 cb. were they are not the same they have all the same parts. glass can be frustrating, the key is don't force anything it should work free if not something is laying across one of the moving parts or the glass is catching on something. a light in the bottom does a lot to let you see which it is.

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 211
Last edited by a moderator:
Back