Federal Beacon 184

David Wall

PCS Member
I have a couple of questions. Does anyone know if the Federal Beacon Model 184 can be installed de-mountable? Does anyone know where I might obtain a Federal 184 in good condition? If someone has one for sale send me a PM or email.

any one of the federal lights were offered in the demount able configuration.

all they did was use a top plate reversed under the light to hold things together. then mounted the hollow peg and run the wires threw. for fasting it to the car.

superior and Eureka both built there own bases. rather then buy the ready made light from Federal

Does anyone know if the Federal Beacon Model 184 can be installed de-mountable? Does anyone know where I might obtain a Federal 184 in good condition?

What make/model car is this for?

All procars have roof contours to deal with - some more pronounced than others - so the skirt will need to be trimmed to fit. A 184 has little skirt to trim. Every demountable 184 I've seen has been a 184-HD (H = high skirt, D = demountable) to accommodate the necessary trimming. Those are hard to find; plus, it/they might not be trimmed to fit your particular car. (A 184-H can be converted to be demountable, if needed.)

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. I will check with him, maybe he will have one. I had thought about a CJ184 but I don't think I have seen one on a combination before. I think the 184 would be a better choice.

I've only seen one demountable CJ184 in my life, and it wasn't made by Federal. On a 1974 Seville combination, a standard CJ184 was mounted to a demountable base that was built/provided by C/B...I can only imagine how heavy it was. Remember that a CJ can't be trimmed with the speaker in place; even with the speaker removed, you would have a skirt full of holes.

a 174 or 175 would be a better choice if one wanted a 4 bulbe rotater. the problem with the 184 is they are a big heavy light with a globe that brakes easily. I made the one on the stoner demountable so I could get the rig in my garage. but till it went east the light was mosly in the closet. then wih the problem Steve mentioned you would almost have to mount it in the center of the car.

What make/model car is this for?

All procars have roof contours to deal with - some more pronounced than others - so the skirt will need to be trimmed to fit. A 184 has little skirt to trim. Every demountable 184 I've seen has been a 184-HD (H = high skirt, D = demountable) to accommodate the necessary trimming. Those are hard to find; plus, it/they might not be trimmed to fit your particular car. (A 184-H can be converted to be demountable, if needed.)

The car is a '70 Cadillac M-M Combination. There is some contour, not as much as some. I have a '73 Cadillac M-M Combination which seems to have a little more contour. I am not familiar with the skirt on the 184. I like the look of the 184 but it might not be a good idea to try one on this car. I have a model 17 and a 174 or 175. It is not the hill light which I think is the 175. I trust the judgement from you guys that's why I asked the question here.

I will chime in my two bits and back Ed's and Steve's thoughts. For your car a 174 or 175 would be my choice, both in ease to work with and likely the appearance for the car of the day.

I will chime in my two bits and back Ed's and Steve's thoughts. For your car a 174 or 175 would be my choice, both in ease to work with and likely the appearance for the car of the day.

I was wrong about having a 174 I have a 176. What would be the difference between the 174 and a 176?

here is the problem with the 184 not only the size but as Steve said there is not a lot of skirt to trim.

Attachments

• federal #184.jpg
    federal #184.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 188
David, you can make a demountable but you definitely need a 184H to have enough skirt to trim as Steve mentioned above. They're harder to find than a regular 184 but they're out there. I found one and made it demountable for my '75 Miller-Meteor with a M-M demountable adapter, which is the same one under a demountable Beacon Ray.

thanks Steve, I get them mixed up. I never was able to find a 174 at a reasonable price. but the point was if your going to be taking it off and putting it on, the smaller 4 bulb light is a better choice.

but if it's flashes per second I would say the 174 has more then the 176.

Back