Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Professional Car Discussion > Technical Discussion Forum

Technical Discussion Forum For the discussion of technical questions about Professional Cars and their repair and maintenance. Posting in this forum is limited to PCS Members and / or Site Supporters. We encourage all website users to become members of the Professional Car Society and / or become Site Supporter.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:35 PM
PCS Member - Elected Director 2017-2020

Thanked 14,362 Times in 6,064 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default what is better

in the context of the spliced trim. what do you do with a molding that is damaged and now available to you. now if it a high dollar car you get the mold made and you cast it out of coin medal. but that is kind of expensive for the average car. what i did was get my friendly Dentist to make a cast out of the impression material. we could them cast it out of the all medal filler and paint it. so the question is what is better if you can't find one this or this
Attached Images

David Henry (05-27-2018)
Old 05-26-2018, 06:54 AM
Website Member

Thanked 7,105 Times in 2,339 Posts
Groaned at 13 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John ED Renstrom View Post
in the context of the spliced trim. what do you do with a molding that is damaged and now available to you. now if it a high dollar car you get the mold made and you cast it out of coin medal. but that is kind of expensive for the average car. what i did was get my friendly Dentist to make a cast out of the impression material. we could them cast it out of the all medal filler and paint it. so the question is what is better if you can't find one this or this
Damn man, that is great!
Old 05-26-2018, 07:25 AM
PCS Past President / Senior Website Administrator

Thanked 11,660 Times in 3,815 Posts
Groans: 0
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts

Who charges more for their "expertise".. the dentist, or the jeweler? Remember, I was the one that told you about using coin silver to make the new script. I prefer the one that the jeweler would make, because there is little to no chance of it breaking.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:44 AM

Will this mold was free and I could not find a jeweler with in 60 miles. But the mold was not of a material that you could cast hot things into. Now we could have found a harder material like the jb weld or just used straight rosen .but the product in hand was what we had. The superior tag was I believe cast out of aluminium. They did a nice job on them but I was looking for a one time casting not looking to go into the business of selling a molding used one year on a hand full of cars. I might have 5 bucks in the set. And once you got onto doing them, about 2 hr in each. Now if we were around one of our modelers there is that material that they make the chrome trim out of that covering them that way would offer a lot better appearance. But I have no ida how difficult a task that would be or just how that would weather.mean time i have a set of 5 footer moldings till I can locate at least one more pot metal one.
David Henry (05-27-2018)
Old 05-27-2018, 12:25 PM
PCS Member

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

Although Iím clumsy and unskilled in these things, I appreciate learning from you.
1973 Miller Meteor Lifeliner Ambulance
Future ownership:
1971-1973 Wayne Sentinel Suburban Ambulance
Old 05-27-2018, 09:27 PM

Jean-Mark was the man that had the superior tag cast. these are one piece casting but the ones superior made are a two piece casting. I believe he still has some from that run He did