Bucker Seats in Pontiac Superiors

Jean-Marc Dugas

PCS Member
I initialy asked this question in another post, but I think that this is the most appropriate place for it.

This 68 Pontiac Superior has bucket seats and a floor console. This is the first time that I have seen this in any Superior Pontiacs. All that I have seen before are the regular bench seats.

Looking at the Superior sales material, it seems that bucket seats were an option, or, it does not say that it was not.

I texted the owner of the car to see if he had any more information or pictures, but he does not.

http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/Spank226/vehicles/42722/photos/1904520

http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/Spank226/vehicles/42722/photos/1904512

http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/Spank226/vehicles/42722/photos/1904532

I wonder if anyone has seen Pontiac Superiors with this setup before?

Also, if there is anyone in that area, would it be possible to get more detail pictures of the cab area of the car with details of the seats, console and switch details.

The reason why I am interested is because I have been thinking of replacing the bench seat for buckets and add a floor console when I get to restore my 69.

I initialy asked this question in another post, but I think that this is the most appropriate place for it.

This 68 Pontiac Superior has bucket seats and a floor console. This is the first time that I have seen this in any Superior Pontiacs. All that I have seen before are the regular bench seats.

Looking at the Superior sales material, it seems that bucket seats were an option, or, it does not say that it was not.

I texted the owner of the car to see if he had any more information or pictures, but he does not.

http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/Spank226/vehicles/42722/photos/1904520

http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/Spank226/vehicles/42722/photos/1904512

http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/Spank226/vehicles/42722/photos/1904532

I wonder if anyone has seen Pontiac Superiors with this setup before?

Also, if there is anyone in that area, would it be possible to get more detail pictures of the cab area of the car with details of the seats, console and switch details.

The reason why I am interested is because I have been thinking of replacing the bench seat for buckets and add a floor console when I get to restore my 69.

This car is located about 15 minutes from me, and I did go to see the car about 3 months ago.

After reviewing the pictures, it is my opinion that this is a bucket seat conversion that was done sometime after the car was delivered from Superior. Those are not Pontiac, or for that matter, even a GM bucket seat, and they are also missing the headrest, which was a mandatory item in 1970. The console doesn't appear to be a GM console either.
If you are thinking of adding bucket seats to your car, you will need to weld in the floor attachments, and also find bucket seats, complete with the tracks. The tracks are different from a bucket seat as compared with the bench seat. Also, bucket seats were an option from Pontiac, but not for all models of the Pontiac. Usually they were "bundled" with other options, and it was an expensive option.

If you are thinking of adding bucket seats to your car, you will need to weld in the floor attachments, and also find bucket seats, complete with the tracks. The tracks are different from a bucket seat as compared with the bench seat. Also, bucket seats were an option from Pontiac, but not for all models of the Pontiac. Usually they were "bundled" with other options, and it was an expensive option.

This is the time to think about it since the front floor pans will have to be replaced all together.

Do you think that they would have basically used the same seats and console as they used in the Cadillac?

There is no question that the console is "made up", not a product of GM. As for the bucket seats, there are very few commercial chassis cars that have bucket seats, and the only one that comes to mind quickly, is the Criterion, that used a swivel bucket seat from a Monte Carlo / Gran Prix, type cars. If you want to add bucket seats, then you should start with those that would have been used in 1967/1968 Pontiac full sized cars. The bucket seats that were quite common in the downsized cars, (Chevelle, Tempest/GTO, Buick Gran Sport, etc.) are all smaller and lower profile bucket seats. Unless you are extremely tall, installing bucket seats in your Pontiac will be a negative, since they sit very low. One option that was almost always "standard" on bucket seats in full size cars, was the 6 way power seat. Now, if you don't care about originality, you can find just about any bucket seat, and with some creativity, you can get it to fit.

My 68 Pontiac Superior had Bucket Seats and a console. It was that way when I bought it in 2006. Sold it in 2008, went to an amusement park in Colo springs. Sorry I don't have a better picture

Attachments

• ambulance 001.jpg
    ambulance 001.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 136
  • ambulance 002.jpg
    ambulance 002.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 137
Now, if you don't care about originality, you can find just about any bucket seat, and with some creativity, you can get it to fit.

Good point. My intent is to stay within the envelope of what was available in 69. At the end of the day, the car will not be as delivered to the town of Rivers, but will be as it could have been delivered if a number of options were chosen.

After reviewing the pictures, it is my opinion that this is a bucket seat conversion that was done sometime after the car was delivered from Superior. Those are not Pontiac, or for that matter, even a GM bucket seat, and they are also missing the headrest, which was a mandatory item in 1970. The console doesn't appear to be a GM console either.

I've seen factory bucket seats and floor consoles in Superior (Pontiac and Cadillac) ambulances as early as 1965. These optional items were from Superior, not GM. If I knew where my old Superior brochures were packed I'd dig 'em out and scan pictures for you.

Joe Unrein might have some cab shots of the '66 S/Ps his family's business owned; they had buckets and consoles.

The seats in this car are OEM Superior, but the console doesn't appear to be (corrections welcome). I don't remember them being padded as shown in these photos.

Last edited:
Here are a couple of scans from both the '68 and '69 Superior ambulance brochures. Both show bucket seats as an option for both Cadillac and Pontiac models, but don't stipulate whether there is a design difference between the two.

Ist photo is from the '68 brochure, 2nd one is from the '69.

Attachments

• 68 Superior seating003.jpg
    68 Superior seating003.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 77
  • 69 Superior seating003.jpg
    69 Superior seating003.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 76
Back