Lifter or Rocker arms?

Since I aquired the Criterion I've had a clicking noise on my left bank. I assumed it was a bad lifter but after talking with a mechanic at a Cadillac dealership yesterday, he leads me to believe it is a worn rocker arm. He explained this Cadillac engine does not have adjustable rockers so it is a simple matter of just replacing it.

As far as the main engine seal leak, he says he can replace it without removing the engine or tranny. That is good news.

Thoughts....

You already have an opinion from a professional mechanic. How can we have any other thought than to have him perform the work. If the car were here where I could hear it, I might have some other thoughts, such as "how did you drive it this far with that rocker arm being worn out?"... :14_6_12:

Rick, I had the same problem when I got the 63. There was an annoying tap on the right bank. My mechanic found a worn rocker arm. I bought new old stock lifters and still have them because you never know. After the rocker arm was replaced ( not without complications :() things sound better. For now anyway!:my2cents:

Have them put it in writing, if they are wrong, you could be out a bunch. I had a clicking and it turned out to be a excessivly worn bearing on #6, had to redo the whole lower end and went ahead and changed the oil pump also.

Turns out I do have a couple bad lifters. He pulled the valve covers and said it was the cleanest engine he has ever seen. I'm replacing all the lifters, cleaning all the engine components, cleaning the carb, and repainting the covers and intake. Should have it back within a week.

:14_6_12:

Be nice to get her home again. I miss my baby! :sleep: Probably going to have to crack open that a/c system and lose the freon. If that is the case I believe I'm going to change back to R-12. Change the drier, oil, and freon.

Attachments

• Criterion engine 001.jpg
    Criterion engine 001.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 193
  • Criterion engine 002.jpg
    Criterion engine 002.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 188
  • Criterion engine 003.jpg
    Criterion engine 003.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 189
As the world turns.....

Talked with Joe and will be replacing the lower radiator hose and one of the lines on the power steering pump. But, everything else is looking good.

I had another exhaust leak on the Lifeliner and thought it might be the right exhaust manifold again. But, turns out the weld on the "Y" pipe sprung a leak so that should be an easy fix.

:my2cents:

PS: Rumors are I bought a rear bumper center section for the Criterion and I didn't know it. :thumbsup:

Life is good. Just talked with the mechanic and he was standing by the Criterion while it was running and could not hear a thing. Great! I am suppose to pick it up this afternoon and will do a vid.

:D:thumbsup::drive2::893USA-Smilie-thumb

Picked her up and she is quiet as a church mouse. No oil leaks and drove her to the hotel this morning. We're having our annual meeting and the hotel owner and all the corporate people are on-site. I was coaxed into picking the owner up at the airport in it with the staff waiting for us when we return with lights and sirens blasting. Ok with me!!!

Back