The S&S Photo Thread

Where is the White 1993 Masterpiece now?

Went back in service/sold to a FD . I bought this from a used car lot and the owner of the lot wondered why some people would not come on his lot.:rolleyes:

Just purchased this one today in Nevada, Iowa. This '75 Victoria 3-way was originally "Terragon Gold"(light metallic green) with "Maharajah Jasper Green" cloth interior. The rear floor also has the same green Maharajah cloth, which really gets obnoxious! The table still has its factory carpet. The car is documented as having 31,000 actual miles! This car has always been funeral director owned and has always been in Iowa, even since taken out of service around 8 years ago. Unfortunately, the owner that owned it up until 6 months ago left it sit outside, which caused the black lacquer re-paint to turn to crap. The original vinyl top is perfect! The car rides and drives like a 31,000 mile car should. None of the expected old Cadillac exhaust manifold or lifter noise! No rust holes or previous repairs anywhere! This one is going to be my guinnea pig for practicing my buffing skills. I figure that I can't screw that paint job up too badly!

That interior is awesome. Garish, gaudy....and gorgeous. I love the 70's, baby !

This Kensington ambulance is in running and driving condition, but is currently not operable due to a shock absorber issue. Once that is resolved, I plan to get her out for a proper photo session.

From the July, 1984 issue of MORTICIANS OF THE SOUTHWEST:

Attachments

• Gill.jpg
    Gill.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 777
I believe........

'34 S&S Olympian built for Cole FH (Lawrence E. Young FH post-'54) in Clarks Summit, PA. It passed through Jonas Stepanauckas FH then Dominick A Musso FH in nearby Scranton, PA before allegedly being trucked off to CA and dropping out of sight.

4070156986_4b6fa9d437_b.jpg

Sure would love seeing more current pics if anyone can add further info.

I think that is the one that is in Buck Kamphausen's collection in California.

"Victoria! Victoria!, get Nick, Heath and Jarrod, the barn's on fire..."

Attachments

• 13 lineup 033.jpg
    13 lineup 033.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 601
  • ss rear.jpg
    ss rear.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 588
  • ss vics.jpg
    ss vics.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 539
  • ss vics 2.jpg
    ss vics 2.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 646
oopps, that Park Lane made a cameo appearance in one of those shots, so better take one downhill too...

Attachments

• 13 lineup 034.jpg
    13 lineup 034.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 655
Kent, would you believe I was actually watching 'The Big Valley' when I read your post? :yum:

I had been wanting some updated fleet shots of your collection. Thank you Sir. :applause:

The '92 S & S is extremely hard to photograph, because the light has odd effects on the dark green color... so I tried another or two to see if the green will come out...

Attachments

• 77 and 92 21.jpg
    77 and 92 21.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 551
  • 77 23.jpg
    77 23.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 543
Kent, you may want to try taking the pictures on a cloudy day, or just after sunrise, or just before dusk where the lighting is a little softer, that may help. I read these tricks on a story somewhere about photographing cars. You photos are great, don't take this as criticism, just something to try. Ive took photos of unusual colors that never turned out right in the cameras eye.

Kent, thanks for posting the pictures. You have a great collection of cars and I enjoy seeing them. I understand what your saying about the problems in the photographs. Check out a polarized filter to help with the glair and wash out. Thanks again for sharing.

John is correct about the lighting tricks for automobiles. Usually a cloudy day is best. Certain colors are just hard to properly capture. But great looking cars!

Eric:
Not sure, there was the least amount of change in the rear heighth on the '81 when new coil springs were added, yet the mechanic said, "we barely were able to get them in there and on..." meaning they were substantial..

'19 S&S REO Speed Wagon from an auction attended this weekend. I encourage seeking out my procar exploits on other sites for those who miss reading about them - blame the Emperor here. :)

1480749_10152051157918221_2092215490_n.jpg

I don't want to get too far off topic here... but...

At the Fort Wayne 1995 meet, a photographer gave us tips on taking procar photos. I remember he said to avoid 10am-4pm on sunny days, and cloudy days made good photos. Here though I will show you two shots made on a cloudy, rainy day, that does not represent the dark green color this car is well at all. Interestingly enough, the photos taken in sunlight at the top of this page represents the green color better.

Attachments

• 92 S & S 1.jpg
    92 S & S 1.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 417
  • 92 S & S 2.jpg
    92 S & S 2.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 413
On a bright sunny day, you need a polarizing filter on the lens to get a good picture. All my camera equipment is for 35 mm film, and you can't buy Kodak film any longer, and even having the available film that is currently manufactured, developed properly is difficult today. Most people never realized that if color film wasn't developed correctly, that it effected the quality of the pictures. I wish that there was a digital camera that would allow me to use my old 35 mm Minolta camera equipment today.

Back