Carryall ambulance photos

S&S Suburbans?

I don't think so, but they're sure equipped like an S&S!

Victoria, TX
This one has S&S window decals and Fyrball corner lights.

(Duane Troxel photo)

West Chicago, IL
Note the S&S decals and what appears to be an Astra Shield on the roof front.

(Dick Adelman photo)

Does anyone here know what company did these conversions?

Attachments

• 1968-Chev-907-DT.jpg
    1968-Chev-907-DT.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,959
  • West Chicago Suburban.jpg
    West Chicago Suburban.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 1,700
The late Arnold Moore was a somewhat eccentric funeral director that operated funeral homes in Bartlesville (Arnold Moore Funeral Service), Tulsa (Fitzgerald's), Dewey (D.F.H.), and Barnsdall, OK (B.F.S.). He was also a partner in the Mobley-Dodson firm in Sand Springs. His funeral cars were a conservative black over silver.

While always offering a high level of service to his families, he wanted his ambulances to be a little distinctive. His last two Suburbans had fender skirts front and rear! I always wondered how the turning radius might have been affected.

1973 Summers/GMC
This car is seen here out of service behind the office of it's second owner, Fitch A.S. in Coffeyville, KS. The front skirts had been removed by this time. I guess the center-mounted #184 had failed at some point, which would explain why the lamp assembly and dome were replaced by a blue lollipop. This rig replaced a 1966/7 Buick Sport Wagon that also had triple #184s and two lollipops on the roof, but with a Q2B siren. I only saw the wagon once but, unfortunately, never got a shot of it.

1974 Summers/GMC

Just when we think we've seen 'em all...!

(SL photos)

Attachments

• Dewey.jpg
    Dewey.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 1,668
Stillwater, OK

1971 Springfield Deluxe
This is the only Springfield I've ever seen with lollipop lighting like this.

1964-6 Chevrolet/?
I suspect this was a local conversion, but I don't know if it was done by the SFD on an existing (or used) vehicle or if it came from one of the funeral homes. The SFD took over ambulance service in 1970 or 1971. By the early 1980s she had been relegated to rescue/extrication duty and carried the usual Hurst tools, a Porta-Power, and so forth.

(SL photos)

Attachments

• Stillwater 71 IH front.jpg
    Stillwater 71 IH front.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 1,570
  • Stillwater Chevy.jpg
    Stillwater Chevy.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,601
Kuhl Hose Co. (Greene Twp., Erie, PA)

1963 Deluxe

1967 Deluxe
The beacon on this one was manufactured locally in Springfield (OH), but I can't remember the name of the company...John?

Apparently they had a '68, as well:

http://www.kuhlhosefire.org/apparatus/retired.htm

(SL collection)

Attachments

• 63 Springfield IH Kuhl HC Greene Twp PA_001.jpg
    63 Springfield IH Kuhl HC Greene Twp PA_001.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 1,623
  • 67 Springfield IH Kuhl HC Greene Twp PA_001.jpg
    67 Springfield IH Kuhl HC Greene Twp PA_001.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 1,572
"The beacon on this one was manufactured locally in Springfield (OH), but I can't remember the name of the company...John?"

Bader-Brown????

your right on the cap but whats with the body pushed out just behind the cab and all the way back. they really worked this one over making that rig. bet they had the big old 63 amp heavy duty alternator on it. here is a pictures of one of Pinners pickup conversion courtesy of Jack and Tom. you can see the rounded rear top of the front door and the gas tank behind the front seat. the second is one of there suburban conversions.

Attachments

• pinner 0409.jpg
    pinner 0409.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 1,387
  • pinner 0417.jpg
    pinner 0417.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 1,400
1980 Wheeled Coach/Chevrolets

Vernon Co. E.M.S. (Nevada,MO)

(SL collection)

Lanman F.H. (Helena,OK)

(SL photo)

Attachments

• WC Suburbans.jpg
    WC Suburbans.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 1,367
More Belmond, IA

Here's a couple of more shots of the Belmond Challenger since it seems to have drawn some interest!

Attachments

• Belmond002.jpg
    Belmond002.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 1,363
  • Belmond003.jpg
    Belmond003.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 1,358
Here's one for ya that I photographed in 2007 during one of our S.E. and Volly Chapter meets at Kent Dorsey's place in Bostic, N.C. Someone will have to make a body I.D. and a year on this one! Maybe Kent D. can tell us if this one is still around?

(Jeremy D. Ledford photo)

Attachments

• Bostic 2007 Meet. S.E. & Volunteer Chptrs 089.jpg
    Bostic 2007 Meet. S.E. & Volunteer Chptrs 089.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 1,341
Back