Not a pro car, but it is a Superior and it is interesting!

will I thing I'll reserve judgment till much later but off hand I would say someone had a good imagination. or as my buddy said as I pulled up with the high top "what you going to do with that make a camper out of it". thay used a number of these small school buses up in this country never seen one painted red though.

As someone on another website said..."What is he smoking... CRACK???". It is a school bus that someone modified the interior to be a camper. Then someone else added a siren probably, and called it an ambulance. The front and rear facing flashing red lights are standard equipment on every school bus, since Rex was a pup. I can't wait till people start offering the used Type II and III ambulances as Taxi's with lights and sirens!!! :D

Paul Im not sure did you see the hooks on the ceiling? they are identical to those used on a 60's Superior Hightop. What are the 2 side doors and compartments for ?

Interesting old short Superior bus nice conversion. For its age in good shape. Best part is it has a V/8 may of these old guys had the big truck six made it easier to start from a stop (when picking up kids) more low end torque than V/8. Add a two speed truck rear and you could motor on the interstate with it.

now this is not to say that one of the volunteer services in the far reaches of the country did not convert the bus for a mass casualty incident response unit. one would have to see a lot more pictures then this but from what I see it's just like my Grand fathers camper.

I like how the bus has what appears to be the same oval shaped lenses for its warning lights as Superior ambulances of the era used for their tunnel lights.

It's too bad that Wayne school buses from the 70s didn't use (M-M) Ful-Vue lights instead of blinkers, because then there would be so many more available!

I like how the bus has what appears to be the same oval shaped lenses for its warning lights as Superior ambulances of the era used for their tunnel lights.

It's too bad that Wayne school buses from the 70s didn't use (M-M) Ful-Vue lights instead of blinkers, because then there would be so many more available!

Abe,
That is not correct. Superior started using these oval plastic lenses on their school buses in 1957 and used them until approx. 1960. They are slightly larger than the oval glass lenses that Superior used for tunnel lights in 1956 only. The plastic bus lenses have "Superior Coach" written in the mold. The glass lenses used on the '56 tunnel lights were held in place with a chrome retainer ring. The plastic oval bus lenses had screws running through the lens. The 2 lenses, unfortunately, are not interchangeable.

Abe,
That is not correct. Superior started using these oval plastic lenses on their school buses in 1957 and used them until approx. 1960. They are slightly larger than the oval glass lenses that Superior used for tunnel lights in 1956 only. The plastic bus lenses have "Superior Coach" written in the mold. The glass lenses used on the '56 tunnel lights were held in place with a chrome retainer ring. The plastic oval bus lenses had screws running through the lens. The 2 lenses, unfortunately, are not interchangeable.

we went round Robbin on those lights discussing the ford panel conversion. same shape larger lens then the S&M

Oh sorry about that Ed and Kurt, didn't realize that...I must have missed the previous threads regarding that. Thanks for clarifying! :thumbsup:

The switch panel has a switch marked "beacon ray". OK, it's marked with 60s-style Dymo label tape. But that would imply that it at least had a beacon ray at one time.

That plus the stretcher hooks lead me to believe that this was something that a rescue squad somewhere built as a vehicle for working standbys or mass casualties. It certainly was not built new by Superior as an ambulance-bus, Superior would not have used plain plywood like that. Nonetheless, it does seem to have some emergency service history.

Attachments

• bus.jpg
    bus.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 135
If old style Dymo label tape is used as "proof", I will be happy to sell a whole box of "proof" to the highest bidder, and I will throw in the chrome plated metal embosser. This is like the type of "proof" that you would expect to come out of the mouth of the auctioneer at a well known televised car auction.

I would go for the mass causalities if it didn't have so many cabinets in it. no seats for walking wounded at all. the hanging bunk was a nice add on for the kids rack. some one had some fun with it. but did you review the Hx on it as listed. any ida were it's located or who owns it

You will also note that it has the standard issue school bus rubber "runner" running down the center of the bus, which is narrower that the rear door. Had it been originally built as an ambulance, I seriously doubt that they would have included that school bus "runner" in the flooring.

Back