Rust issues...

Paul Steinberg

PCS Life Member President
Staff member
Super Site Supporter
I have been getting the 1969 Miller Meteor ready to have the roof painted. Today, I removed the emergency lighting, and no surprise, there was rust under it. If you have Ful-Vue lights on your car, it might be a good idea to remove them and check for rust forming under the gasket. One other problem that I encountered is that the screws broke off on all but two of them. This is a major problem, since I don't have the tool to replace the threaded inserts.

Attachments

• MVC-004L.JPG
    MVC-004L.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 193
  • MVC-006L.JPG
    MVC-006L.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 207
that looks like a 75 I did once for some one. the lacquer is braking down checking and letting water get down to the steel.

Today I finally got around to removing the rear window. The way the process was explained, it seemed like an easy task. After 40 years it just didn't want to come out, but with some persuasion, it finally came loose. Then came the hard part, trying to get the window frame out. It was glued in with butyl, a windshield sealant. This took the persuasion of a hammer and blunt tipped drift pin to get loose. Now that it is out, the rear door can be painted along with the roof. Looking at the way that the rear door was manufactured, it appears that they welded up a lot of parts from other doors just to make this one door. The good news is that it is very solid with no rust issues at all.

Attachments

• MVC-748F.JPG
    MVC-748F.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 137
  • MVC-749F.JPG
    MVC-749F.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 141
Back