CLeaning QUestion.

Went to my garage today to ck on the cars and exercise some of them and found the interior of my 70 all covered with mold. We have tons of rain this summer and not alot of hot dry weather so the garage has gotten really damp. What is the best way to clean this and what should I do to prevent it.. Guessing a de-humidifiyer would be in order. The builder is not climate controlled.

when I got my 78 Horton, the interior was full of light mold, I use a kichen cleaner ( like scrubbing bubbles ) or a shower/tub cleaner

The most important thing to not do is use bleach. The problem with bleach, is that it removes the mold, but seldom does it kill it, and the water reactivates the mold spores. I have found that Scrubby Bubbles is a good cleaner, and then do a follow up rinse, and make sure to dry with a clean towel. You have to get after it quickly, before it stains the interior. Once it is clean, then put the car out in the sun, with the windows open, so it can air out. You might have a problem with mold spores in the carpet, so a trip to the auto detailer might be in order.
Some people use the water absorption bags to keep the cars dry, however, I am not sure how well they will work if you don't keep an eye on how moist they get. The best thing is to drive them on a regular basis, so you don't have mold or mechanical problems.

mold killing and prevention

Theres a product on the market up here that I've used in my basement called "Concrobium" Its clear and non toxic and you spray it on to kill mold and inhibit future mold growth... It works on wood and concrete it might work just as well on vinyl and vehicle fabric.
Something to try after you clean off the worst of it. Once mold and mildew really get into fabric its really hard to get rid of.. This might work.

@Paul, is that only to use on vinyl?? or can it be used on other materials??
Dana.

Never had a mold problem with cloth so I can't comment. Usually if there is mold on cloth seats, the mold is also on the padding under the cloth, so it needs to be professionally replaced. Mold is a living organism, that is difficult to kill, and will spread if not checked quickly.

The most important thing to not do is use bleach. The problem with bleach, is that it removes the mold, but seldom does it kill it, and the water reactivates the mold spores. I have found that Scrubby Bubbles is a good cleaner, and then do a follow up rinse, and make sure to dry with a clean towel. You have to get after it quickly, before it stains the interior. Once it is clean, then put the car out in the sun, with the windows open, so it can air out. You might have a problem with mold spores in the carpet, so a trip to the auto detailer might be in order.
Some people use the water absorption bags to keep the cars dry, however, I am not sure how well they will work if you don't keep an eye on how moist they get. The best thing is to drive them on a regular basis, so you don't have mold or mechanical problems.

THanks Paul, I do drive all my stuff minimum of once every 1.5 to 2 weeks at least 10 miles. Average slightly more frequent and usually further than 10 miles. Had not been two weeks since drove and was fine but went yesterday and all haired over.

On rubber/plastic/vinyl/glass, I used white vinegar.
I had a car that sat for several months in the rain (Oregon) and treated it that way.

Luckily for me, the weather has been mostly sunny since, and I have not seen the mold return in 6-8 weeks or so. This is on a car that has leaky seals and doesn't get driven much, so I'm pretty pleased.

http://www.naturesinnovation.com/mold.htm
Went to my garage today to ck on the cars and exercise some of them and found the interior of my 70 all covered with mold. We have tons of rain this summer and not alot of hot dry weather so the garage has gotten really damp. What is the best way to clean this and what should I do to prevent it.. Guessing a de-humidifiyer would be in order. The builder is not climate controlled.

Oxy-Mold MX500 fungicide http://www.naturesinnovation.com/mold.htm

most all these are in the bath room cleaners. I have had good luck with them. buy the scrubbing bubbles at sam's you get a lot more. spray let set and hit it with a brush wipe it of with a terry cloth or micro towel then follow up up with a wet cloth to rinse. works on any surface. just keep it wet when your working it. it will leave enough material to keep the new growth at bay.

Did you ever get it cleaned? what worked and how did it go? Any suggestions for others who might have the same issue in the future?

I used the scrubbing bubbles cleaner and it seemed to work well. Finally getting some sun here so left out sunday for several hours. Actually cleaned it last thursday I believe it was. Drove it sunday also, went and got some of the 100% gas at a local station. Ole Blue likes it when I treat her with special stuff.

Back