Have some spare time???

Here's another from our "fleet", in "Avalon", 1990, from IMCDB.

Funny that this should be posted, Steve. I just watched "Avalon" on Sunday night. One of my favorites. Just love Barry Levinson's Baltimore films. It sure is cool to watch a movie and see a flying ambulance belonging to a fellow PCS member. :thumbsup:

Steve! Wasn't your dad Gene doing the driving during the filming of Avalon or am I thinking of something else?
You're correct, that's Dad in the driver's seat. There is a better shot where you can see him, briefly. In actual fact, for most of the scene, he's not "driving", the car isn't moving at all. The background lights move outside the car.

Our Buick was missing some of the grill "teeth". The grille on the car (still there today) came out of one of the Buick convertibles used in "Rain Man".

And one other interesting bit of trivia from "Avalon". There was another scene (the building fire) where Dad and I were both extras, playing ambulance crew along with two other "real" actors. When we were in wardrobe, I was looking through the rows of various costumes they had brought in from CA for the film. The wardrobe guy said, "Now, I need to find you jackets." Just then, in with the uniforms, I found some white jackets with patches on them. I held one up and asked if that was good, he said yes. The coats of course had patches that said "F+B Ambulance Service". Yup, the costumes we wore were the "Mother, Jugs & Speed" uniform jackets.

Of course, the F+B patches were removed for the film. Though I can't discuss it in a public internet forum, any assumption as to where the patches ended up is likely correct. ;)

Funny that this should be posted, Steve. I just watched "Avalon" on Sunday night. One of my favorites. Just love Barry Levinson's Baltimore films. It sure is cool to watch a movie and see a flying ambulance belonging to a fellow PCS member. :thumbsup:
Brad, our Buick also appears in Levinson's "Liberty Heights". Though it was just for a couple days, my Dad and Barry became fast friends.

Back